Preamp impedance mismatch with McCormack DNA2

I recently purchased a McCormack DNA-2 with an SMC Rev.A mod. The amp currently has a 100K input impedance, however I am sending it back to Steve for some additional mods including the Jenson balanced transformer upgrade, which would change the input impedance to 10K. I am currently running direct out of my Reolution Audio Opus 21 cd player, but would really like to add a tube preamp. I am finding that alot of tube preamps are typically ( on paper ) not suited for driving a lower input impedance. However, what is on paper and what is reality are often two different scenarios. I would appreciate some suggestions on some balanced tube preamps that may work well with this amplifier. I don't live in an area where there are dealers so trying several at home is not possible. At least with some suggestions it will help narrow my search and the amount of traveling I will have to do. Thank you for all the help.

Darrin
rhythmace4218

Showing 1 response by fplanner2000

I have a DNA-500 that works amazingly well with VAC preamps. I used to use a Standard LE and now have a Phi 2.0. The synergism is excellent and both Steve and Kevin (at VAC) were very helpful in explaining the impedence situation to me and assuring me that the impedences would work, especially with the Phi. The sound is, needless to say, very impressive as well.

(Steve - we need to talk when you get back)

Hope this helps.