Preamp function.

Hello everyone. I have always wondered what a preamplifier does. I am currently investigating valve amplification for the first time. one of the options i am also considering is a valve preamplifier to add to a pass labs power amp. i am also considering all valve. Transistor or valve, what does the preamp actually do, apart from switching and volume control. As an experiment i added a musical fidelity a3cr that is from my second sytem, to my pass xa30.5. the results were very positive and an improvement over cd player direct. i am aware the musical fidelity a3cr is not in the league of the pass, but it certainly improved the sound. Most noticeably was a quieter back ground and better musical presentation. From this i gather that a preamplifer does add something to the sound. i had always believed it purely carries the signal unaltered. If anyone here with technical kwowledge mind throwing some light on the subject, i would appreciate it( others might find it interesting too). i have read reviews where writers describe the sound of the preamp. i had believed they were actually describing the sound of the player and amplifier and the ability of the pre to carry the signal unaltered? Thank you.
james123

Showing 2 responses by james123

Thank you all for explaining what a preamplifier is. i now have a better understanding. i appreciate the detailed responses. i had been using the droplet direct for a long while. the a3cr, while no match for the pass, did something to the sound which i find pleasing. a review of the droplet suggested that there would be very minimum improvements by using a very high quality preamp. i therefore did not look into it further. however i found significant improvements in adding a preamp that now sell for very little ( 300 uk pounds) on the used market. it just that reviews should not be taken too seriously. their writing skills are very enviable though, and have used several pieces in english classes that i teach! i am now considering a quality pre. i would imagine a pass preamplifier would be a good match. anyone got any suggestions? a forum user suggested an arc reference 5. however that is beyond my set budget. thank you kindly.
Dtc, than you for the detailed response. it is very useful to me in understanding what a preamp is. even the musical fidelity a3cr, now old but certainly with merits- i purchsed this unit 10 yrs ago, did something very nice to the sound. i really wish i had done this test earlier. ive seen for sale a preowned pass x2.5. anyone got any thoughts on this? thank you.