Preamp for Rogue Stereo 100 amplifier

Hi, I am considering getting a Rogue Stereo 100 power amp to drive my Tannoy Prestige speakers. I have heard the amp and really liked the way it "tried" to disappear. For a tube amp, it did not show any signs of sluggishness or tubey processing of sound. But tonally it had a more humane character than solid states so it was impressive overall. However the system I heard it was a very different one than what I have at home. The speaker brand was Audes. It uses smaller 5" drivers for mids and ribbon tweeters (unlike Tannoys). The rest of the chain was also kind of unknown but pretty neutral from what I could gather. The preamp was an EMT JPA66 Mk2. Very high end stuff, which I wont be buying.

So what kind of preamps would suit the tonality of Rogue ST-100 ? Neutral, a bit warm or..? Rogue's own preamp is an option but they are not as well reputed as the power amps so I am considering other options too. Budget, $3-4k new/used
pani

Showing 2 responses by helomech

Having owned the Stereo 100 and a Rogue Cronus Magnum-II, I would opt for the new CM-III and request the factory resistor and capacitor upgrades. Total expenditure would be very near that of a new ST-100 and you'll simplify your setup.

While I liked both amps, I found the CM-II had superior musicality - for whatever reason, it was simply more involving. Both lean toward an accurate, SS-like sound rather than a lush tubey sound. The ST-100 is smoother, with better bass precision, but based on my examination of the circuits, that most likely results from the higher-grade caps and resistors, which can be custom ordered for the CM3. 
Thanks everyone. The RP7 seems very promising, though expensive. But now my interest has also piqued for Cronus Magnum III with their SE upgrades (resistor and caps upgrade). If it is close to the sound of seperate ST-100 and RP7 then it would be a great deal. I will not have to worry about interconnects, power cords and their effects etc.

Whats the feeling on this from existing Rogue users ?
To elaborate on my experience: the CM provided a more "euphoric" and 3-dimensional experience than the ST-100, however, that was with the latter being driven by a SS preamp. It might've been very different with a tube preamp I suppose.