Preamp for Rogue Stereo 100 amplifier

Hi, I am considering getting a Rogue Stereo 100 power amp to drive my Tannoy Prestige speakers. I have heard the amp and really liked the way it "tried" to disappear. For a tube amp, it did not show any signs of sluggishness or tubey processing of sound. But tonally it had a more humane character than solid states so it was impressive overall. However the system I heard it was a very different one than what I have at home. The speaker brand was Audes. It uses smaller 5" drivers for mids and ribbon tweeters (unlike Tannoys). The rest of the chain was also kind of unknown but pretty neutral from what I could gather. The preamp was an EMT JPA66 Mk2. Very high end stuff, which I wont be buying.

So what kind of preamps would suit the tonality of Rogue ST-100 ? Neutral, a bit warm or..? Rogue's own preamp is an option but they are not as well reputed as the power amps so I am considering other options too. Budget, $3-4k new/used
pani

Showing 1 response by gakerty

I have the ST100 paired with the RP7 (a bit out of your budget), but not surprising they are an excellent match.  The RP7 with its stock JJ 12AU7 tubes is "neutral" as least as far as tube setups go, but easily bests my previous Halo Int for treble extension and mid range smoothness.  I've recently replaced the JJs with Radiotechnique 12AU7s and couldn't be happier, as they are a big improvement over the JJs for both bass and treble extension, with a dose of warmth.  Yes, it now sounds more tubey.  : )   Perhaps a used RP5, with future tube rolling is an option for you?  The only other preamp of sorts I tried with the ST100 was my ADI-2 DAC driving the ST100 directly, and it sounded surprisingly good, though not at the level of the RP7.  

Along those lines, I have Amperex Bugle Boy type 12AX7 coming in soon, and will try those out in the ST100.  It's so much fun...