Preamp for music and home theater for under $3500

Current system:
Audio Refinement Pre2 DSP preamp
Hafler 9300 amps in mono for each speaker (L, C, R, RR, LR)
Velodyne sub 
Oppo BDP 103

So, a little background may help for the recommendations I hope to receive. I primarily listen to music in High-Rez formats (non-downloads) like SACD, DVD-A and a few pure audio Blu-rays. I prefer, when mixed properly, to listen in surround though many of the SACD's I have are stereo only. I use the AR Pre2 DSP in "pure audio" mode meaning the digital processing is all done via the Oppo for both music and movies and goes directly through the AR unit's 5.1 inputs and outputs with no processing. I chose the Audio Refinement originally for this purpose and love the clarity it provides. However, over the years its shortcomings have become more apparent in that it has poor bass management. When listening to music in surround or movies for example the subwoofer is engaged but if I listened to an SACD or (regular redbook) CD the subwoofer is not engaged. FWIW, I have both the Oppo and the AR's low pass filter set at 70 Hz. The subwoofer is not a filter issue however as much as a signal issue in that the subwoofer only accommodates a single input so I have to use the "subwoofer out" on the preamp and therefore it only plays the dedicated subwoofer channel in the surround mix, whether movie or music. In a previous HT/music set-up years ago I had a Velodyne sub where I ran the main LR signal through the sub, using it's low pass filter, and then back to the amplifiers. This was more flexible for music as anything under 60Hz (the setting at the time) was played by the sub. However, the limitation here was I never got the "true" dedicated subwoofer channel for surround music or movies. So, with that out of the way, I am looking for a pre-amp now that will accommodate the signals from the Oppo player (and any other source, digital or analogue) and allow me to utilize the subwoofer whether from a 5.1 or stereo source. Philosophically, I have always tried to stick with preamps that were musically oriented and out of the digital realm as I want to use this for many years - my belief being that technology upgrades be contained in the player (like the Oppo or even an external DAC) and the preamp simply allow for flexibility of source inputs and outputs and be as "clean and pure" as possible. I have recently been to a few high-end audio places here in the Dallas area but it seems like all the preamps have DAC's built in (with the higher-end ones using the same chipset in the Oppo). Some accept HDMI which I suppose could clean up some of the wires and even solve the bass management issue but I am concerned the SACD signal will not "travel" this way (get converted to PCM in other words) and I have no idea about the DVD-A or Blu-Ray signal (I assume those would be OK?). Again, I don't want to buy a preamp with 24/192 DAC's and 5 years from now have some source component providing me 48/384 or some other "revolutionary" technology being down-converted. Don't get me wrong, I am fine with a preamp that has a good DAC, and in fact need the preamp to have this to convert digital signals via fiber, coax or even HDMI from sources like the satellite receiver or (if I ever purchase one) a music server, etc. it is just a requisite that the pre-amp have inputs (at least 1 set of 5.1 inputs) that are strictly analogue!  Are there any other High-Rez audiophiles out there that are feeling my pain and have some recommendations for a preamp that will allow for the various inputs AND solve the bass management issue?

whiterockman

Showing 2 responses by elevick

As an owner of an Oppo 105 and Emotiva UMC-200, I would agree  with many comments above.  I had a 103 and was always sorry that I didn't buy the 105.  I finally upgraded and it was an impressive difference.   Not only was the sound quality better but the control is much better too.  

The emotivas do 1 thing really well-they pass the signal through on direct mode with no noticeable affect on the signal quality.  My emotiva is a seamless multichannel volume control.  I do like the volume control in the emotiva much better than that of a digital volume of the oppo.

SACD processing is really only done one way and newer technology won't trump high quality from a few years ago.  And it is designed to be processed by the play.  So the quality from the player is more important than the pre-amp.

My suggestion:  
1-upgrade your oppo
2-try using it without the pre-amp before wasting money on a pre.
3-why in the world do you have 5 amps when there are so many high quality 5 channel amps out there?  Downsizing might just improve and/or simplify things?  (My amp is a 5 channel Mac)
4-really read the suggestions above.  These guys are giving great suggestions.
The emotivas will allow different bass management for each source (many pre's do this now).  I run my oppo 2 ways:  Pure 2 channel direct for stereo listening and then I use 7 channel output for theater.  You can use hdmi instead of 7 channel.
Why do the processing in the oppo vs emotiva?  I like the sound better.  Also, sacd is a 6th channel and won't get process by most preamps.  It needs a sub unless you can set the pre to no sub and the pre will push the sub channel to your mains.
You could always look for the outlaw audio ICBM.  This was a 6 channel analogue bass management pre.  It came out 5-10 years ago but doubt you can find one.