Preamp for Mcintosh MC2500

Looking for feedback on what preamp would be a good match up for a MC2500 amp? Currently using a ARC LS3. I also see the MC2500 can be run without a preamp. Anyone with experience running this amp without a preamp?
2channeljunkie

Showing 2 responses by normansizemore

I had a MC2300 and ran it with a MAC C-29.  A very musical combination. Also had a C-28 and C-26.  Don't let anyone tell you that the C-26, or C-26 are dogs. They aren't. They are wonderful with excellent phono stages. 

Having had many different preamps and amps, I always found Mac sounded best with Mac. 

I wouldn't run the amp without a preamp. To easy to damage speakers that way. Remember the power we're talking about here. My 2300 rated at 300wpc bench tested at over 500wpc into 8 ohms. The 2500 would do much better. 

N
George,

My comment was based on using the MC-2500, which for all operating intents was exactly like my MC-2300.  The comment was not a 'unilateral' based expression. 

The MC-2500 has a left and right gain control. Looking the the schematics, they are exactly the same pots in my MC-2300.  They are not detented but are free wheeling. I tired running a CD player directly into my MC-2300, and while it can be done it was just 'way too easy' to increase the volume. Using a preamp gave much greater precision and control with regard to gain.  I also wasn't excited about the possibility of someone in my home using my system that way. 
Last of all, I don't like using left and right gain for volume. Much easier to use a single volume knob with separate balance. 
I know several people who choose not to use a preamp. I just don't recommend doing that with this amplifier. It it literally limitless in its power delivery.  The beast is rated to drive a half ohm load. 
N