Preamp for McCormack DNA-125 Gold? Budget $2k

Any ideas for a preamp match for my McCormack DNA-125 Gold upgrade? It is actually just short of Gold (I didn't have $1750 to spend on the upgrade, but did have $1500, so it is close). My speakers are Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signatures (not very demanding). I have been using a CJ PV5a preamp: not the best unit, I know.

My budget is $2000 used (or new). Should I pursue a balanced preamp and then consider getting the amp upgraded with balanced IC's as well? That adds another $500 to the cost of the amp, but I could always do it at a later date.

My other option would be to sell the McCormack and get a good integrated for $3500 used. Not having heard any good ones, I don't know if this would best a decent preamp and the DNA-125 Gold.

My musical tastes tend to be classical and jazz.
chiho

Showing 3 responses by chiho

Nolitan: can you elaborate on what you liked about each of the pre's you tried with the McCormack? I see you have been through several.....

Chiho
Thanks for the responses so far. I am enjoying hearing the opinions. It certainly gives me a list to work with. FWIW, I am running a Tyler Acoustics full-range speaker, which I can't quite characterize how they sound (I am not really an audiophile, just a person who likes good music). Mostly, I like hearing the precision and speed of certain classical passages, and love the weight of a live jazz performance, where I can almost see the smoke drifting up toward the ceiling.
What is the opinion of the Audio Horizons stuff? I see a very long thread, but nobody has mentioned them here.

Also, what about the Rowland Capri? I read somewhere that they are a good mate for Tyler, but not sure how the primarily balanced preamp would mate with the unbalanced amp.

Modwright had popped up onto my radar. Dan only lives 4 hours from me, so perhaps I could go up and listen to a demo.

The Joule LA100MKIII and BAT VK5i had also seem well regarded.

I had a CODA integrated a few years ago (the ones made in Sacramento) and had all sorts of issues with it, as did the person I sold it to. They probably lost my business.

Thanks again for the ideas. It will be tough to demo, so hopefully I can make a good choice on a used unit. And, I think I will be keeping the McCormack: I doubt I could do much better for the $1500 I could get for it.