Preamp for McCormack DNA-125 Gold? Budget $2k

Any ideas for a preamp match for my McCormack DNA-125 Gold upgrade? It is actually just short of Gold (I didn't have $1750 to spend on the upgrade, but did have $1500, so it is close). My speakers are Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signatures (not very demanding). I have been using a CJ PV5a preamp: not the best unit, I know.

My budget is $2000 used (or new). Should I pursue a balanced preamp and then consider getting the amp upgraded with balanced IC's as well? That adds another $500 to the cost of the amp, but I could always do it at a later date.

My other option would be to sell the McCormack and get a good integrated for $3500 used. Not having heard any good ones, I don't know if this would best a decent preamp and the DNA-125 Gold.

My musical tastes tend to be classical and jazz.
chiho

Showing 1 response by boper39

My advice would be to evaulate what you don't like about your present setup. For about 2 years I had a DNA 125(stock) with a Threshold NS-10 (ss), Thiel 1.6s,& Transparent ics (rca) & sc. a really good and enjoyable sound without fatigue, but I wanted more imiaging, soundstage etc etc, so I sold the amp and that lead to different pre,to different speakers, to different cables, more $$. The Mccormack is a really good bang for the buck and the CJ is also, but I think the CJ is laid back with a smooth sound, and the Mc is also. I am not familar with your speakers or your tastes, so it is hard to make a recommedation. In hindsite with myself I should have been switching out cables instead of eq. See if you can borrow or demo a different pre, some high end stores offer auditions, also cables can make a big difference. boper39