Preamp for Herron VTPH-2A

Ok, the eventual goal will be to try a Herron VTSP-360.  However, that is not in the budget, even used, until sometime next year.  So, I've decided to get an interim preamp.

I have approximately 3k to work with right now.  

I'd like to hear what VTSP-2A owners are using now or have used in the past with success.

As for other suggestions, here's what I'm looking for right now.

*Needs:

Gain - I need a preamp with gain.  Somewhere around 10db to 12db would be optimal.

Transparent.  I'm not looking for coloration.  I'd like to find one that does the best job of sounding like it's not there.

Input impedance:  47K or higher with on the SE inputs.

Line level only:  No phono stage, no DAC, etc.

*Preferences:

True balanced output.  Nice, but not necessary.  I'd like to place the turntable in a spot where it needs approximately 25 feet of cable run between it and the power amp, but can live with it if it stays near the power amp.

Tone Control Bypass (no tone controls preferable)

Remote control:  Nice , but not absolutely necessary.

*Don't care:

Tubes/Solid State. As long as it is sufficiently transparent, the tech doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance.  I'm sure based on the recommendation I got for the VTPH-2A, I'll get some great suggestions.

TIA
psychoticreaction
In defense of the “inefficiency” of planar speakers in general, the standard method for measurement falsely reduces their apparent efficiency, because it does not account for the radiation of sound across the length and breadth of the diaphragm. This is the case for any magneplanar and any full range ESL.
By the way, old school may be the first on this forum to say he prefers any other reasonably priced phono stage to the Herron.
lewm is correct.  Line source speakers have roughly half the propagation loss as point source drivers.

see https://counterstrikess.com/line-source-speaker-advantages/ for a good basic explanation.
Preferences are just that.  It doesn't bother me if he prefers something different.  I haven't heard the PS Audio gear, other than an S300 amp which was impressive for the price.

Having said that, I'm thrilled with what the VTSP-2A did for my listening experience.  I don't need to second guess that.  I've never been a flavor of the month audiophile.
Ok, so I've looked as some suggestions so far.

Audible Illusions L3A - Tons of gain (way too much?), has a reputation of burning thru tubes.

DENAFRIPS products look nice, I'll have to go thru reviews more.

Benchmark LA-4 looks very interesting.  I may try to get one to check out.  Reviews look almost too good to be true at the price point, but there's a 30 day return policy so it may be worth a try.

PS Audio BHK is out of the price range for now, even used.  I like their 30 day return policy.

EAR 868 is out of reach until next year.  Also, very limited US dealers so I'm not sure about return policy.

Vintage, no thanks.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.