Preamp for headphone use

First of all, I am a newbie who knows just enough to get myself in trouble.

I recently purchased a set of Sennheiser HD 800 headphones. The wife doesn't care for "loud" music, so for now I want to pursue the audiophile hobby via cans. I wish to drastically upgrade my gear here, and am looking for suggestions.

Does anyone have any strong recommendations regarding a preamp with a superior headphone output section? I must admit I have a soft spot for McIntosh, and have contemplated their C2300 preamp. I like the "tube sound" and for whatever reason I find their gear attractive. I'm open to any suggestions though. Almost 100% of my listening to music is via vinyl records.

I'm currently using an Integra line of Onkyo as my "reciever", I wish to upgrade from Old Milwaukee. Thanks in advice for any thoughts!
brad34695
I think the opposite. "Old Milwaukee" is a step up from "Meister Brau".
As for preamps with a quality headphone section, find a Audible Illusions L1 linestage.
I'll second a Schiit headphone amp. I have the Lyr and it has no problem with AKG 702's. Another avenue would be the Cary SLI-80 which is very popular with headphone fans and also is a great integrated to run speakers with. You get the beautiful glowing tubes that you can use with speakers when your wife is not home. Some people buy the Cary strictly to use as a headphone amp. It's a beautiful looking tube integrated IMHO. In most cases, the headphone aspect of anything but a dedicated headphone amp is an after thought. From what I've read that's not the case with the Cary. They appear used occasionally on this website.
TYVM all for the replies. I really appreciate it. What I am learning is that a headphone amp will be in order no matter which preamp I were to buy. My OP was hoping that a high-end preamp is available to circumvent that need. Thanks to you all, I have learned otherwise. So thanks again, and I will check out the "Schiit's". :)

(I love that name!)
You may want to consider the Melos SHA-1 pre-amp which is considered an excellent hp amp and also of course can be used as a pre-amp.
If you can locate one, a Melos Sha-1 or Sha-Gold might suffice. I had a Sha-Gold and it's the best preamp/headphone amp I have heard.