Preamp for Halo A21 and/or B&K ST2140

I have been stalking the boards for some time lusting over a new preamp. My price keeps dropping as reality sets in. I started at $2,500 and am now down to $1,200. I have been looking close at the CJs, primarily PV-14L. I love the looks of the ET2 but it’s slightly above my $range. Are there any other preamps under $1,200 that anyone would recommend over the PV-14L? I see some names I hear a lot about, like Simaudio Moon (P3), Classe (CP-50/CP-60), Quicksilver, and Bel Canto.

I listen to all kinds of music, but mostly classic rock, alt country, folk rock, blues, old school country, some jazz and occasionally classical.  

I have two main requirements:
  • I need a remote since it will be attached to a TV 
  • I need RCA outputs so I can hook up my sub
I haven’t decided if this will grace my main rig or basement rig. In my main system I would put it between my Cambridge 851N and then use the 851N as a DAC instead of a DAC/pre combo. In the basement it would replace a Rotel RC-980BX. My amps are either Parasound Halo A21 or B&K ST2140. Both have an input impedance of 33 Kohms.

I haven’t got full authority to make a purchase yet but I need to be ready when I do :)
treebeard1

Showing 1 response by mesch

For trying a preamp to replace the volume within the pre/DAC I would go with a tube pre. Quicksilver make one in your budget. I own a Jolida Fusion which retails at $1350. Very nice unit and has the features you want.