Preamp for Bel Canto Ref1000 MKII monos

Hi,

I'm currently using Bel Canto Pre3 with my Ref1000 MKII monoblocks driving Focal Electra 1038. The source is highly optimized PC connected to a tube DSD DAC (Musical Paradise MP-D2) I like the sound and there is nothing specific that I don't like about Pre3 but I'm itching to try a different preamp with balanced IN/OUT, solid state or tubes. Any recommendations, opinions?

Thank you all!
yrogins

Showing 2 responses by yrogins

Hi @noble100 

Thank you for your detailed response. My budget would be 2-3k for used or new preamp.

You are right my monoblocks are very neutral so is my Pre3. My speakers are also on a neutral/bright side. It's hard to describe the sound that I'm looking for my system. The best description would be through a metaphor e.g. I would be happy with intimate sound of acoustic guitar with nylon strings played in a small hall as opposed to a sound of acoustic guitar with steel strings played in a large hall. But don't get me wrong..I listen to all kind of music including jazz, rock and electronica.

Thanks!

Thank you both for your input. What is your opinion on McIntosh c2200 or even c2300?

thanks