Preamp/DAC Suggestions

I'm currently using a Rogue Sphinx v2 as a preamp with a Mytek Brooklyn amp. Looking for ideas for preamps. I primarily stream Tidal/Qobuz from a BlueSound using a Schiit Multibit DAC but also have my tv plugged into the DAC and use the Rogue for volume control. Speakers are Focal Aria 926s. Looking for something that will give me a really quiet background and more soundstage. Also open to upgrading DAC if that's where I'll get more bang for buck. Budget is under $5000 for DAC and preamp. Other option would be upgrading the integrated and selling Rogue and Mytek, but I like being able to switch around pieces to play with the sound. I'm open to tubes or solid state but really like a totally dark background. 

128x128grateful_dad

Folks using DACs with volume controls as the best solution are far between. To do this and have great sound is very expensive and requires extreme knowledge and dedication to do it. In todays world, putting together a DAC and connecting it to an amp ends up with a flat / analytical, non- musical presentation. Most folks that do it, go back to using a preamp. Unless you have lots of money and expertise, get a great preamp…. audio Research, Conrad Johnson, or VAC… then, revisit the issue in 20 years.

I just saw this combo the other day don't hesitate if its available

I had all 3, but sold the amp due to my big ass room, but the dac/pre + PS5 is top shelf

Audio Alchemy DDP-1/PS-5 and DPA-1 all in $2500 and likely some wiggle room

Rose 150b.....it is a fantastic streamer, dac, preamp, and a used unit can be had in the 4k - 4.5k range.  Good luck.

“Folks using DACs with volume controls as the best solution are far between. To do this and have great sound is very expensive and requires extreme knowledge and dedication to do it.”  Far from it. What is so hard, it’s actually easier to eliminate a preamp. Set the dac to variable output, use quality xlr cables from dac to the anp(s), and your done. If you get a quality dac, you can set attenuation on or off. I got rid of a top quality preamp and haven’t looked back. 
If you are going all digital, the most important piece in your system is the dac IMO and could stay in your system longer than amps or speakers.

The few times I connected a DAC direct to an amp it was definitely not a good match on my system.   I immediately put a pre back in.  Then last year I bought a really good preamp and it brought my system to the next level.  Amazing upgrade to my entire system.    I’m sure there are a few preamps in that price range that are pretty good. Especially if you buy a used one.  I bought a leftover demo.  It was actually like new for $3500.   It was a $7500 preamp new. Could have never bought that new, that was even a stretch.  Worth every penny

Buy the best preamp you can with your money, it is the heart of a good system