Preamp comparison - Rogue Perseus and ARC LS25 MKII

I was fortunate to pick up a LS25 a couple of weeks ago and have been giving it a thorough listen.  Really nice preamp, my first ARC piece of gear.  It's been fun switching between it and my trusty Rogue Perseus.  Probably not a fair comparison with the LS25 over 3k more when new.  But it is what it is.  Using my Rogue Atlas Magnum tube amp and Snell type D speakers.  

Right out of the box I could tell the difference.  The LS25 is just a little more refined, the word polite coming to mind.  The Perseus gives music a bit of bite and texture, an added fullness and bass presence also. The soundstage is just a touch more open as well.  The LS25 has a slight edge in clarity, with more attack. 

I've always read that ARC tube gear is considered to be not quite as 'tubey' as most.  I think I now know what that means.

Now trying to decide which to keep.  I will do more listening to be sure but I am leaning towards sticking with the Rogue and passing along the LS25.  You all might think I am nuts (most likely I am) but I do enjoy the richer and fuller presentation of the Perseus.   

A question for those with ARC experience:  might tube rolling in the LS25 add a bit more of what I am looking for? 

Ideally, I would like to find a tube pre that combines the attributes of both - clarity with great texture and fullness and an open soundstage.  Any suggestions for tube pres that might fit this description are welcomed.

Thanks!

pkatsuleas

I don’t have any tube suggestions, but if it was me I’d try another set of tubes before making a final decision.  Maybe try calling ARC and see what they recommend given what you’re looking for, but you’ll probably get some good recommendations here.  If not, you should start a new thread and I’m sure you’ll get a multitude of recommendations.  Just make sure you include how much you’re willing to spend.  There are also some dealers that are reputed to have good knowledge (Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio maybe?).  Anyway, best of luck. 

If you enjoy experiment - rolling tubes is an option.  And if you like the Rogue sound better, I think you'd be better off experimenting with the Rouge unit versus buying the ARC unit to experiment on.

Yep roll the tubes on the Rogue.

Dragged home a LS25 MKII when I had my former ModWright SWL 9.0 SE. I preferred the ModWright in my system. What I missed from the ARC was it had nowhere near the PRaT of the little ModWright. Because of the comparison of the two, I sold my SWL and bought a new MW LS 36.5. The LS 25MKII just didn’t do it for me; it was nice but too laid back and a little cold sounding.

Don’t do quick comparisons. Listen to one preamp for at least 2-3 days then switch. 
As to tubes, when I had my LS25 I liked EH better than Sovteks and tried Amperex as well. What tubes you have in it now and how many hours in?

@audphile1

I agree.

I would go on to get to know them so well that your subconscious chooses. Long relaxed sessions, for days with one or the other. So… when listening to music (not to the system)… an idea bubbles up that you would like to hear the other one. Over time you will settle down to the one that is more satisfying.

Commonly, one system is “flashier”… so your technical analysis says that one is better… but in reality the one that gets the gestalt can be more musical and much more satisfying.

You are correct about Audio Research not being tubie. They have always tried to balance high levels of details and the midrange bloom and realistic detailed realistic bass.