Preamp/amp far superior to just int. amp.?

I am curious if there is that much of a jump up in sound quality if a person goes from an integrated amplifier setup to a preamp/amp setup within the same manufacturer? I realize this is a loaded question, and it is somewhat rhetorical, but I just wanted some feedback if I threw it out there.

The reason I am asking is because I am wondering what my next upgrade will be in the future (not near future), because I have an excellent budget amp (Rega Brio 3), but there will come a time when I go to a better integrated amp., or spend the same amount that I would spend on that int. amp. and perhaps buy a not as good brand's preamp/amp. What would give more bang for the buck for say, $2000? I guess that is my true question.
regafan_1972

Showing 3 responses by regafan_1972

Rich:

Excellent response to my question. I really appreciate your insight and I will definitely take it to heart and keep my integrated for now until I can eventually audition some tube equipment. Until then, I will buy a DAC for my Squeezebox and/or a used, quality CD player until I can afford upgrades.

Thanks again.
I took everyone's advice and upgraded to a Rega Mira 3. No seperates for now, just the Rega quality integrated.
Hello Rich,

The Mira 3 sounds excellent so far. I am a big fan of Rega, but some day when I have more money I am going to try out other manufacturers to compare, such as Naim, Prima Luna, Krell, Mark Levinson, etc. For now, with my budget and small size of my living quarters, the Regas are doing great.

Take care and thank you all for your advice.

Joel