preamp advice.. quad 909 + esl-63

hi all..
i just got a quad 909 amp and would like to ask your advice on a preamp. my speakers are quad esl-63.. and i'll be playing mostly LP's. ideally 2 channel for cd too would work, but i don't mind switching cords either. is there anything under, say, $300 or so that would work well?

thanks very much.
walter_prawn

Showing 2 responses by walter_prawn

thanks on this. while my budget's limited, if there's something great you might suggest under $1000, i could wait and buy eventually..

thanks again..
hi all .. thanks so much for this advice. i looked everything up and started reading audiogon threads and now i'm deep into figuring out an ideal preamp/phono setup. a last question.. i could definitely get a quad 99 or 44 used. would you suggest that vs something like a croft micro-25 basic/pre, or quad QC-24, or conrad-johnson pv12, all of which i've read favorable reviews.

i'll play phono maybe 2/3 of the time.

OR i could buy a passive preamp with multiple sources (creek, CI audio, axiom, sonosilent) and then get a phono preamp. stanwal suggested a musical fidelity V. if i again can spend a bit more.. should i look at things like dynavector p75, quicksilver phono stage, pro-ject phono box, jolida jd9, promitheus phono stage, creek obh-15/18?

i definitely understand that the whole joy of this is trying options and slowly perfecting one's sound. and i'm sure this is the start of a longer journey.. but its hugely helpful to hear how you might suggest i configure my initial setup.

thanks so much...