Pre with the BEST 5.1 inputs

I am looking for a preamp with the cleanest 5.1 inputs possible. Bass management is NOT a must. The reason for this is that I have recently (Dec '02) purchased a Sony DVP-999es DVD/multichannel SACD player. The player has great sound for the SACD and really has a great built-in DTS & DD processor. The player also has great bass management features. The problem I am having is that I have very inferior (to the 2-channel) 5.1 inputs on my preamp. I am currently using a Yamaha model that served as a "add-on" for 5.1 when DD was fairly new (about 5 years ago)and allowed you to integrate HT into my 2-channel set-up without going the receiver route. Ideally, I would like to get a preamp with excellent 2-channel and 5.1 channel inputs. I would like this preamp to control the volume for both the 5.1 channels and the 2-channel and be able to allow for at least 3 source inputs. I DO NOT want a receiver and I would prefer not to have 2 preamps (one for the 5.1 and one for the 2 channel). Since the signal source is SACD, I do not want the signal converted to digital - I would prefer straight (HQ) analogue. The pre does NOT need to be a processor as I am more than happy with the processor in the Sony. I am aware of the Sony TA-P9000es but am not sure that would allow me to control the volume for the 2 channel input. Any suggestions? I am going crazy trying to find something that will work in this situation. I would like to keep the $ below $1200.

Associated equipment is:

Hafler 9300 amp for L/R
Hafler 9180 amp for LR and RR
Hafler 9130 (in mono) C
Yamaha DSP-E42 (I think is the model) preamp
Sony DVP-999ES (use the Dig. out as transport for redbook)
Parasound Ultra DAC 2000
Audio Alchemy DTI-PRO32 w/ PS2
Main speakers are Dahlquist W2 and CA2 (modular) and Dahlquist center channel, Snell KIIV for rears. Velodyne sub.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated as the Yamaha is the obvious weak link but I haven't really found anything to replace it! Thanks, Tony
treyhoss

Showing 2 responses by c123666

The Audio Refinement is simply an analogue preamp with a six channel analogue bypass input. There is no signal processing; ie, not even dolby pro logic. An external digital processor is required unless this preamp is only going to be used in conjunction with DVD Audio and/or SACD. This approach is not that useful with the plethora of high quality preamp/processors available with 5.1 and 7.1 analogue bypass inputs.

The Audio Refinement Pre2 DSP is a possibility. It, however, does not have dolby pro logic II. I have chatted with a couple of owners who like their Pre2 DSP products very much, though.
Ah, there IS another unit out there designed specifically for what you want to do although, not much help here, don't remember the name. As I recollect this was a very expensive "cost no object" six channel passive line stage preamplifier. I think it had six unique ganged attenuators and the reviewer raved about it (don't they always?).

Anyway, look around if you've not already spent money as this thing is (was) out there.