Pre Pro advice. NAD T 187 or??

I know that this topic has been covered somewhat, but I don't think I have read any discussion of the NAD T187. I have a home theater room that I use almost exclusively for movies. Have Vienna Acoustics Beethovens with a VA center channel and small rears with a SVS sub for a 5.1 surround system. Using an ATI 1505 amp and have been using an old EAD Signature pre/pro that was modified a few years back. The EAD sounds great but lacks compatibility with some of the newest HD sound formats. I called a local store to ask about their recommendations for replacing the EAD and they recommended the NAD T187 at $3,000. I have a dedicated two channel setup in another room for music. Thus, HT applications are primary in this system. Any thoughts on whether the NAD is a good choice? He talked about it being modularly upgradeable both in hardware or software. Any other comparably priced (or less!) pre pros that I should consider?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
luvwine

Showing 2 responses by mateored

I'd recommend checking out the NAD pre-pro threads at avsforums.com. When I was shopping for a processor last year, I wound up deciding against the NAD based on the numerous reports of popping and other problems reported on that forum. I wound up with a used Anthem processor.

Based on last year's information, if I were shopping for a processor purely for movies in that price range, I'd probably go with an Integra/Onkyo or Pioneer Elite, which seem to be the most glitch free and feature-laden. Marantz might be another good choice.
I couldn't even find a shop to audition an NAD processor in Los Angeles last year, which was a shame. One nice thing about the NAD design is that it is easily upgradeable. If the glitches are gone, it's probably a good choice for both movies and music. But I would definitely check out the latest feedback on AVSforum.com, since it scared me off of NAD last year. You could also go with an Anthem receiver, like the MRX-300. Honestly, though, I think the Marantz and Pioneer Elite (used as a processor) are pretty good processors. I've never heard the Integra, but they seem to have a lot of fans.