Pre-pro Advice for B&W 802d HT System

Hello All,

I am in the market for a pre-pro and wanted your guy’s opinions on my options. I have been reading a lot for about 3 months, but still would like some more opinions. The main things I can looking for in new pre-pro are excellent audio detail and a good wide open soundstage. Also, I would like high quality HD video and good up conversion (although up conversion is less important). The following is my current system:

AVR – Denon 2808ci
Amp – Cinenova Grande 7 x 300
DVD – Panasonic S52
Speakers: All B&W
Center: HTM2D
Fronts: 703s
Sides: DS7
Rears: 602s3
Audioquest interconnects

Future Plans:
Amp - McIntosh MC205 and MC402, might go with Classe, but right now planning on Mac
Blu-Ray – Oppo or Ps3 – Oppo if I need analog outs and PS3 if I don’t.
Speakers:
Fronts - 802Ds – Looking to get them in 6 months or so.
Rears - My 703s or 805s

I am looking to spend between $2000 and $5000 for a new pre-pro. My options can be broken down in to two categories: those with the new HD audio formats and those without.

Those with the new audio codecs:
Rotel 1570 – Rotel is always considered to be a good brand with high quality audio. However, after reading a lot about this pre-pro, it seems to have more problems than it should. Some of those problems include poor remote, poor video quality, and audio drop outs.

Marantz AV8003 – I always think of Marantz audio quality is slightly below Rotel. Video processing is better and a few more features (although not that important to me).

Anthem AVM50v – Anthem makes good pre-pros, however some say they can be bright. They supposedly will have excellent video quality and good soundstage.

Anthem D2v used – I would have to wait a while tell a used one gets on the market maybe a year or year and half. However, this is supposed to be one of the best pre-pro on the market. Great Soundstage, video, and audio detail. Again might be bright.

Those without the new audio codecs:
Classe SSP – 600 maybe used– Classe as a lot of you get to experience first hand make great components. Their sound is very detailed and has a good soundstage. I am not sure about video processing.

Classe SSP – 800 used – Same things as the 600 just with better audio. I heard they were going to make it upgradable for the audio codecs, not when this will happen.

Anthem D2 used – same as above expect no wait and no audio codecs.

McIntosh MX136 used – Known for great sound. Don’t know about video processing.

Rotel – 1069 or similar used – Great deals, would be well below my price range. Good quality sound.

These are main pre-pros I have been considering. Also, remember that if I choose one without the codecs I will have to buy interconnects from the Oppo Blu Ray player to the pre-pro – estimated cost of $300 - $400.

I wished I lived closer to stores were I can audition these, but I do not. Thus I like to have a lot of information before I make the weekend trip to Denver to listen to them. Thanks in advance for all you help.
jkk7859

Showing 1 response by vayjay

FWIW, I use an Anthem D2 with 803D, HTM2D, and c-1066 rears. For amplification I have the Anthem A5. The system is not bright by any means but clean and very transparent. Extremely revealing sytem due to neutrality of poor recordings, but very good with very good recordings. I use a tube phonostage for TT, and the sound is very warm, and revealing. I concur witht those that advise spending on source if you use a similar system, as the Anthem reveals poor sources as well as revealing good sources. I have heard the 802 and 803 demo with both Macs and Classe and they seem a very good fit.

Good luck.