Pre-pro Advice for B&W 802d HT System

Hello All,

I am in the market for a pre-pro and wanted your guy’s opinions on my options. I have been reading a lot for about 3 months, but still would like some more opinions. The main things I can looking for in new pre-pro are excellent audio detail and a good wide open soundstage. Also, I would like high quality HD video and good up conversion (although up conversion is less important). The following is my current system:

AVR – Denon 2808ci
Amp – Cinenova Grande 7 x 300
DVD – Panasonic S52
Speakers: All B&W
Center: HTM2D
Fronts: 703s
Sides: DS7
Rears: 602s3
Audioquest interconnects

Future Plans:
Amp - McIntosh MC205 and MC402, might go with Classe, but right now planning on Mac
Blu-Ray – Oppo or Ps3 – Oppo if I need analog outs and PS3 if I don’t.
Speakers:
Fronts - 802Ds – Looking to get them in 6 months or so.
Rears - My 703s or 805s

I am looking to spend between $2000 and $5000 for a new pre-pro. My options can be broken down in to two categories: those with the new HD audio formats and those without.

Those with the new audio codecs:
Rotel 1570 – Rotel is always considered to be a good brand with high quality audio. However, after reading a lot about this pre-pro, it seems to have more problems than it should. Some of those problems include poor remote, poor video quality, and audio drop outs.

Marantz AV8003 – I always think of Marantz audio quality is slightly below Rotel. Video processing is better and a few more features (although not that important to me).

Anthem AVM50v – Anthem makes good pre-pros, however some say they can be bright. They supposedly will have excellent video quality and good soundstage.

Anthem D2v used – I would have to wait a while tell a used one gets on the market maybe a year or year and half. However, this is supposed to be one of the best pre-pro on the market. Great Soundstage, video, and audio detail. Again might be bright.

Those without the new audio codecs:
Classe SSP – 600 maybe used– Classe as a lot of you get to experience first hand make great components. Their sound is very detailed and has a good soundstage. I am not sure about video processing.

Classe SSP – 800 used – Same things as the 600 just with better audio. I heard they were going to make it upgradable for the audio codecs, not when this will happen.

Anthem D2 used – same as above expect no wait and no audio codecs.

McIntosh MX136 used – Known for great sound. Don’t know about video processing.

Rotel – 1069 or similar used – Great deals, would be well below my price range. Good quality sound.

These are main pre-pros I have been considering. Also, remember that if I choose one without the codecs I will have to buy interconnects from the Oppo Blu Ray player to the pre-pro – estimated cost of $300 - $400.

I wished I lived closer to stores were I can audition these, but I do not. Thus I like to have a lot of information before I make the weekend trip to Denver to listen to them. Thanks in advance for all you help.
jkk7859

Showing 1 response by jkk7859

Thanks a bunch for all your responses. I do like the idea of getting a DVDO Edge or something like it to do the video and just focusing on a good audio processor. I also, understand why it would be great to get a awesome 2 channel pre-pro and an ok HT pre-pro and do it separately. However, I would say my listening is more 40/60 music/ht split than 85/15. Therefore, HT is very important to me. I should have stated that in the first post. I really appreciate everyone advice. Jeff you gave me a lot of good things to think about.

Thanks to everyone who responded and please keep the info. coming.