Pre + Amplifier Recommendation

Hello All,

First let me say I have spent countless hours researching what may or may not be the right combo for me and my listening preferences - the reality is that there are so many options I am likely more confused now than before, though not from a lack of effort.

So, I have Dali Helicon 400's and listen primarily to rock / folk indie primarily, but do listen to most genres. I have a Cary SLI-80 with upgraded tubes and it sounds great, but lacks a bit of power when i want to turn it up and i am wondering if in addition to increased power i could move up the food chain a bit and get something even better, so long as better is not in the five digits.

I prefer tube sound to any solid state I've owned or heard to date, and my primary concern is being engaged in the music not hearing every last detail, thought that is neat as well.

Was thinking maybe a set of used Cary 805AE units, but fear they may not have enough power. VAC ? BAT ? Quicksilver ? Coincident ?

Or should I start over with new speakers as well? Daedalus Argos look pretty cool and are seemingly more efficient, may open up the options on amplification?

Look forward to your suggestions and thanks in advance.
juggernaut850

Showing 1 response by juggernaut850

I completly understand the comments of using my own ears, and appreciate how something like audio can bring about two completely polar opposite opinions on the same subject since this is such a qualitative hobby. That said I value the opinions of those who have been down the road before in hopes of saving me a few miles of detours on my path.

Appreciate the responses guys.

Maybe speakers will be the next move...