Powerquest 3 vs. Niagara 1200

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to try both the Powerquest 3 and Niagara 1200 from Audioquest. I'm borrowing a friend's PQ3 and it's been a big change for my system. Was wondering if moving to the 1200 would be an exponential or incremental change from PQ3. Thanks!

peterclemens83
I compared the PowerQuest 2 to the Niagara 1200, which is not quite what you're looking for, but close. I can't image the PQ3 sounding different or better than the 2, it just offers more plugs. So this comparison should be pretty close to what you're asking for.

In my system, the Powerquest sounded so bad I returned it and bought the Niagara 1200. Well, it's an unfair comparison, given the huge price difference. But the Niagara 1200 is so far superior, it really can't be compared to the little PowerQuest. They are in 2 different leagues.

In a nutshell, the PQ2 sounded gray, lifeless and lean. Bass was tight, but so lightweight it simply caused movies and music to lose impact and dynamics. But it was the gray, washed out color and lack of richness throughout the range which ruled it out for me. The Niagara 1200, on the other hand, restored all of these qualities - and then some. It cleaned up the sound, with crisper articulation and better detail, and provides just enough richness to make instruments sound like the real thing. Best of all, it also anchored the soundstage, so centerlock is much more secure than before. 

The Niagara isn't perfect; I could still wish for even more dynamic oomph and even more richly saturated orchestral color. But it's no slouch in these areas, and for the money, I really am nit-picking.

One area where the PowerQuest excelled was that 4k/8k plug for HD TVs. The picture quality on my Samsung greatly improved plugged into it. However, it's very nearly as good into the Niagara 1200. So I don't miss it at all. I think the PQ would be great for your average home theater system, based on an inexpensive receiver and a great big subwoofer. It's lean, clean sonic character would probably benefit such a system, which can often tend to be boomy and lacking detail. 

I am happy with the Niagara 1200 - for the money. It certainly sounds better than anything else I've tried under $1,000, which all tend to sound the same and not terribly beneficial (Furman, older Monster HTSs, PS Audio, etc.). 

@drowe 

Just curious, what power cable did you use with the Niagara 1200?  That can make all the difference as the Powerquest has a built-in, low-grade, cable.

guakus, I started with Straight Wire's Black Thunder II power cord on the Niagara 1200, with satisfactory results. But since have upgraded to their top Pro Thunder and it has improved more than I would have expected. 

The PQ3 has better filtering than the PQ2. The former is not merely the same unit but with more inputs.

Audioquest did a power cable shoot out at one of our dealers.  We then started to compare the power conditioners in a very modest system with only one cable going between the integrated amp and the wall.  We started with the Powerquest (not sure which model it was) and worked our way up the Niagara 5000 using a lower cost power cable.  My audio buddy and I thought the Powerquest degraded the sound - dull and grainy.  The Niagara 1200 didn't appear to have any of the issues of the Powerquest. 

@drowe In your comparison was the amplifier also plug into the conditioners? 

I wonder about the differences when conditioner is used only for source components including preamp if using separates.

Yes, the amp was plugged into one of the high current outlets when using both units.