Powercords $1000 that beat VH Audio cords

I am looking for a powercord for my tube preamp that easily beats the VH Audio Flavor 2 Cryo.

The most important atrribute for me is natural tone and natural timing.
krisgel

Showing 2 responses by jazzonthehudson

Two years ago, after installing dedicated lines, I embarked on a project to test the higher end of power related equipment: AC sockets, power conditioners, power cords, fuses.

As for PC, I bought a bunch of $1-2k relatively new power cords which includes HiDiamond P4, LessLoss DPFC Reference, CH X-20, Audience AU24. Due to the price of these candidates, I did not have all of them at the same moment so can only compare from what I remembered, aided by my wife who has very good ears.

In my systems, both with dedicated lines and adeptResponse power conditioners, the CH X-20 was the winner for upstream equipment besting in terms of dynamics, texture and timbre. HiDiamond P4 came in second, despite being slightly bloomy and less refined compared to the CH X-20 but sounded the most organic of the heap, the AU24 (some call it SE but AU24 has always had the new Cardas plugs) good overall and excellent in lowering the noise floor -great in both upstream and downstream - came in as close 3rd.
For a very brief moment I tried the NordOst Valhalla 2 that a great job compared to the original Valhalla but some thinness was still there; the price tag was above my budget.
At the end, I kept the old Valhalla, CH X-20, AU24 in one system and again Valhalla, 2x HiDiamond P4 in the other. BTW the P4 is a huge step vs the P3.

For those who do not have dedicated AC lines or no or a good conditioner, the LessLoss did the best job as I tried that on a normal AC line w/o power conditioning but it lacks imaging, not very 3D like compared to others.

For integrated amps I would imagine that the HD P4 presents a formidable candidate in this price category, certainly with solid state amps.

Cables are addictive and I would have liked to keep more of the goodies in my main system but the money would be spent better elsewhere like in better isolation as I am revisiting that domain now.

As always, YMMV.

Absolutely, for the power cords that I intend to keep for life, I have upgraded the plugs, mostly to Furutech FI-28, some to FI-50 (r). Apart from that , I have some DIY power cords based on Acrolink with great plugs.