Power supply caps

OK, I'm not trying to start an all amps sound alike type thing, but I would like to know if anyone has actually heard this. Not theory or speculation, but actually replaced caps on their equipment.

Will upgrading/replacing old caps in a phono pre-amp's separate power supply have any effect on sound? I'm getting ready to recap my 20+ year old phono pre and wonder if the caps in the power supply should be run of the mill or high quality? If they make a difference, then fine, but if the PS caps won't have an effect on sound, I don't want to waste the money.

Thanks for the help.
128x128mrvordo

Showing 2 responses by rodman99999

Increasing the voltage of a capacitor offers greater overvoltage protection, to the cap. Power supplies are generally designed to specific and balanced parameters. Thus; If you intend to increase the capacitance of your filter caps(beyond say 20-30%); you should also look at increasing the amperage rating of the associated rectifiers. Many have blown their diodes/bridges, via turn-on/recharge current overloads. Also- consider the possibility of damage to the power transformer, as a result of the same. It would be prudent to check with the component's manufacturer, regarding the transformer's current limitations. Something else to consider, since you are thinking about the power supply of a device with low current demands: (http://tech.juaneda.com/en/articles/powersupply.html) Something easy to accomplish, inexpensive and with great sonic benefit: replace the diodes or bridge in your power supply, with Cree Schottky diodes.
BTW: I've dealt with Michael Percy quite a bit, over the years. Sometimes he's hard to get hold of, but worth the effort. Happy listening