Power requirement for ADS L-1290?

Here's my weird question of the day:

I got a set of hand-me-down ADS L-1290s...(I know, I know, quite a nice gift. It's true. I'm very fortunate).

Everyone says they love power, saying things like 'the more power you give them, the more they sing,' and other nice but imprecise stuff like that.

They're rated at 300 watts maximum, and they're not terribly efficient; coming in at 90db at 8 ohms. Exactly how big does my amp need to be to get "decent enough" sound out of them? I fully realize that the very notion of "decent enough" is anathema around here, but I'm not wealthy, by any means, and look to the vintage audio market for my stuff.

Would 65 wpc be enough to get them to sound good enough? 80 wpc? 100?
jamesjems

Showing 2 responses by sid42

I'm using a Yamaha DSP-AI Integrated Amp(100 wpc)with mine, and that's plenty of power. I've used them with my McIntosh 7200 Amp (200 wpc) and it's interesting to note that the meters never register over 20 wpc. You have good speakers!
Now after all the raves about the 1290's, try out the 1590'2's. Now there's an awesome speaker! I own them both and will never part with them. Even better, the 1530's, although huge in size comparison, put out the best sound of any of them. I only sold mine as I am retired now and had to downsize for a smaller home. ADS was great in their day, and still are!