Power of McCormack DNA .5 vs DNA 125

The question that I have is does the newer DNA 125 have more power than the DNA .5 that it replaces? DNA 125 is rated at 125 wpc while the DNA .5 is rated at 100 wpc. Likewise, does the DNA 250 have more power than the DNA 1 that it replaces? I heard the older DNA's are conservatively rated
bjue
Hi Bjue -

The actual measured difference is very small - the DNA-0.5 was rated at 100W into 8 ohms and would hit about 120W before clipping. The DNA-125 is rated at 125W into 8 and will hit at least 130W before clipping. The important difference (in terms of power) is that the DNA-125 has a slightly larger transformer which will deliver more current into low-impedance loads. Not that the DNA-0.5 is any slouch in this regard, but the DNA-125 is better.

With typical 4 - 8 ohm speakers in a typical room, both amps will do a fine job.

Best regards,

Steve McCormack
SMc Audio
Hi Bjue

Yes the McCormack DNA-1 was conservatively rated @ 150 watts into 8 ohms at first. Later it was found that it was rated @ 185 watts into 8 ohms. I saw the difference in the DNA-1 manuals I was able to retrieve. Then I contacted SMc Audio to verify the difference. If you have any doubts call or e-mail SMc Audio or McCormack of Virginia. Both companies are easy to talk too and willing to help.
None of them are precisely rated neither old or new niether McCormack or Pass or Krell or whatever. All you need to know if it's enough for your speakers + maybe little-bit overpower.