power for mc452 and c2600

I'm relatively new to high end audio. Had a mcintosh integrated amp for few years and now decided to upgrade to separates. Just received c2600 preamp and awaiting on mc452 amp due to arrive sometime next week. 

I don't know anything about power conditioners and protection devices. currently using monster surge protector. My questions: 

1. what is the minimum protection device that one would use for my equipment
2. does it have to be a power conditioner or just surge protection
3. how much do these "power conditioners" contribute to the overall performance? Can you objectively measure their effect? Can they worsen the performance in any way by limiting power? 
4. is there a real difference in relatively affordable (200-500) vs. higher price units (1000 and above) ? 
5. What are you using and what is your experience with it? 
6. Your recommendation on units with good reputation under $500

thank you 
ei001h
Dave- I can’t disagree with anything your wrote. I have always pulled power to my main system in the case of severe (or even not so severe) electrical storms. We are now in Austin, which probably doesn’t get as much electrical storm activity as Houston, but when we do get such storms, they are pretty intense. As to the MOV devices, I’m inclined to agree. Certainly the cheap power strips and some of the other products you mention are questionable.

What’s interesting is that the surge protection within my industrial/commercial style isolation transformer (10kVa from Controlled Power) which sits outside in a Nema weatherproof cabinet at 400 lbs is in part MOV based, with a warning light that indicates the need for replacement. Ditto, the whole house unit that is side mounted to the main service panel for the house. I have had for some years one of those ZeroSurge units that doesn’t use any MOV (I’m sure I mentioned this above) and that’s what I keep my vintage QUAD ESLs plugged into.

I guess my starting point is to be pretty skeptical about how much any of these devices can protect against a close strike, but I use them, nonetheless, as well as point of use boxes, like those made by Tripplite, for computers and appliance type electronics, e.g., the printer, the paper shredder, as well as my record cleaning equipment.
The current code now requires Arc-Fault type breakers. Those were installed at the service (sub) panel fed by the isolation transformer for my dedicated lines. I was concerned about false triggers, but they have worked fine. The cable point is a good one. I should look at my cable modem/router, which only provides Internet service-- no "TV signals" as such-- we stream video and have otherwise ’cut the cord.’
I think we come out in the same place, no?
I’m relatively new to Texas, but really love it here, despite the heat.
I have had a C2500/MC452 and have been very happy with my PS Audio P10 power plant.
@whart , good point. My surge protectors are 15 amps, the receptacles and breakers are 20 amp. I chose units with no MOVs, but the whole house units all seem to use them. 

On my street, the transformers can go out during heavy storms. My Furman and Brickwall (ZeroSurge) have never failed to trip. I just wonder if a whole house MOV would be sacrificed in these situations.
Good discussion and I learn along with you.

Fully agree and understand both of your posts and think that you have invested in a proper solution for surge protection given the constraints of what is available in industrial power source products (or elsewhere to my knowledge).

MOVs are imperfect as you know, but at least the manufacturers of your products seem to recognize/acknowledge that they are known wear items (sacrificial in nature) and provide a warning system as they begin to fail. I shudder to think how many trusting consumers sit unaware as we write that the MOVs in their inexpensive "surge protectors" have long since ceased to provide any protection and are likely to be unnecessarily limiting current flow to their audio devices.

Dave
 I've learned a a lot from your comments and experience. Thank you. 

Getting a dedicated 20amp AC  line or the whole house surge protector is not feasible at this moment. I'm gonna stay away from cheap conditioners. I would like to begin with a simple and  a reliable surge protector without MOV. 

Lowrider, you mentioned you have a brickwell and furman. Which furman do you have?  

Which one would you recommend for my set up: (MC452, Krell KAV500, C2600, MX134, MCD550, Oppo 205) all mounted on a salamander synergy rack.

1. Brickwall 10-Outlet Rackmount Audio Surge Protector 
2. Brickwall Eight-Outlet Audio Surge Protector
3. Furman PST-8 DIG (I think this has MOV)
4. Furman PST-6
5. Furman SS6b
6. BPT Pure Power Center or PPC
7. CablePro - Revelation Power Strip 8
8. Hammond H1584H
9. Wiremold L10320, Power Strip

Has anyone used one of the above for an Amp? Any other suggestions welcome. I would like as many opinions as possible. Thanks