power for mc452 and c2600

I'm relatively new to high end audio. Had a mcintosh integrated amp for few years and now decided to upgrade to separates. Just received c2600 preamp and awaiting on mc452 amp due to arrive sometime next week. 

I don't know anything about power conditioners and protection devices. currently using monster surge protector. My questions: 

1. what is the minimum protection device that one would use for my equipment
2. does it have to be a power conditioner or just surge protection
3. how much do these "power conditioners" contribute to the overall performance? Can you objectively measure their effect? Can they worsen the performance in any way by limiting power? 
4. is there a real difference in relatively affordable (200-500) vs. higher price units (1000 and above) ? 
5. What are you using and what is your experience with it? 
6. Your recommendation on units with good reputation under $500

thank you 
ei001h
Hi kalili,

That is one comparison that I have not done. The 30A breaker cost a few dollars more than the 20A and that made it a no-brainer to me for use with my Krell FPB-600C (6,000w/ch @ 1 ohm/115+A peak current output per JA’s measurements), my primary amp at the time of the electrical work. Used a SR UHC 20A IEC power cord from wall or power enhancer to the Krell.

This allowed for the possible instantaneous current draw of >20A on peaks without creating an electrical hazard IMO.

Re: your friend’s decisions vs mine, I ran that Krell through my "at the time" SR Powercell 10 (non-current limiting) power conditioner along with 100% of my other components. Painstaking comparison of that configuration vs amp directly to the wall receptacle proved the former to yield clearly audible superior sonic results.

Sorry that you do not consider my expertise sufficient, perhaps it is not. No hard feelings! :)

Dave

You will find a LOT of opinions here, I am no different.

I equate Monster, Bose, Beats Audio with very successful marketing companies and will never have a place in my mind as respectable audio companies.

I do own a McIntosh MC352, a Krell KRC-3 preamp and a lot of other source components.

I have four 20 amp breakers with four runs of 10gauge orange romex to each of my Hubbell HBL5362W outlets. The MC352 has it's own dedicated outlet as well as each of the 2 amps that run my dual subwoofers. My other source components run off another 20 amp circuit and through PowerVAR toroidial filters. I have had no issues running my amps directly from the outlets.

I cannot understand cheaping out on power devices when I know those 2 McIntosh source components cost in excess of $10k.

Plug the amps into the wall and maybe look into Shunyata, PS Audio or Equi=Tech products for protection.
+1 tweaker. Would add CPT to that list and encourage trying amps plugged into the power unit and also directly to the wall receptacle before settling on one or the other. 

Dave
A 30 amp circuit breaker on a 20 amp circuit? Would you replace a 4 amp fuse with a 10 amp fuse on any one of your components? Makes no sense!
What makes it a 20A or 30A circuit, yogi? Is it the 30A circuit breaker with 10 gauge Romex (30A rating) that makes it a 30A circuit or a "20A labeled" receptacle that makes it 20A circuit? What if the PC to the amp is verified to safely pass 30A but a "20A labeled" IEC is all that is available? It is only the prong configuration of the receptacle and IEC that makes it a "20A" circuit?

Makes no sense indeed.

Dave