I've not done the mod you're referring to, but I can't resist the opportunity to share with you the power cords I've been overwhelming pleased with:
The LessLoss DFPC Signature
($1149: the ones I use now), or the LessLoss DFPC Original
($595: began with these)
There are tons of user and professional reviews of these power cords out there, but, for what it's worth, here's my brief account:
- First and foremost: immediately and easily noticeable improvement in sound quality. Everything just sounds more real (among other things).
- Very robust: can be flexed any which way, and stays the way you want it to.
- Lightweight: the lightness made for easy installation and more importantly, doesn't throw my equipment off balance having sensitive footers.
- Brilliant aesthetics: what can I say, they look quite attractive.
- Superb customer service with Louis Motek from LessLoss.
Drop Louis Motek a line (firstname.lastname@example.org
): I'm sure he'd hook you up with some cords for an audition. He's quick to answer questions, too.
Just a note: Zmanastronomy mentioned the Elrod EPS-2 Signature. I've heard some good things about this power cord. A cautionary note, however: even if it could make your system sound fantastic, heads up to its weight and general inflexibility. Obviously you'll want a cord that doesn't just sound great, but one that won't compromise your system setup, too.
Hope you find something that works for you.