Power conditioners around $500

Does anyone have any thoughts on power conditioners in the $500 range (new or used)? For years I've been using an old Panamax 1000 and I think it's time to take a step up.

A few months ago I borrowed a PS Audio Quintet and I didn't like it at all. It etched the instruments razor tight, which seemed to deaden the air around the instruments and also seemed to exaggerate the separation between instruments. It seemed to suck the life out of the music. The Quintet had been on consignment at the local shop, so I am just assuming that it had been properly run in, but that might not be true.

I read a review of the Shunyata Guardian on Positive Feedback, and the reviewer mentions the same etching effect. PS Audio Power Center 3000 looks nice on paper. So does Furman. Does anyone have experience comparing these machines? I'm not running power-hungry equipment, just an integrated amp, DAC, and CDP.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
rfprice

Showing 3 responses by srosenberg

if you can find a running springs haley in your price range, they would be worth checking out.
Bo1972 - thanks for the additional information. So then have you not personally auditioned the Running Springs power conditioners? Again, not questioning your findings, just really interested in the Fisch line if you found it superior to the RSA gear, as the RSA remains the best I've heard to date.
Bol1972... can you elaborate on the comparison you did between the Running Springs conditioners and the Fisch Audiotechnik? I am curious what advantages you found in favor of the Fisch. I am in no way questioning your findings, but rather am genuinely curious, as I have not had the opportunity to try a Fisch Audiotechnik piece but found the Running Springs EXTREMELY good in my system.