Power Cables diminishing returns

I'm thinking of upgrading my PCs, but am wondering what the sweat spot is as far as price. The price point after which, you see diminishing returns. for example a $1000 is certainly not twice as good as a $500 cable.
linaeum66

Showing 6 responses by zd542

The higher the price, the sweeter it is for the seller. The lower the price, the sweeter it is for the buyer.
"Finally, keep in mind that an ideal component power supply design, were there such a thing, would have zero sensitivity to reasonable variations in the characteristics of the incoming AC, and would feed zero noise back into the AC line. Perhaps it is too much to expect, but it seems to me that a more expensive component design should approach that ideal more closely than a less expensive component that performs a similar function. And therefore it should be less in need, not more in need, of the benefits that an expensive cord might provide."

I know that's true from experience. A few years ago I bought a cheap Sony DVD/SACD player to try SACD. After a few days of having it in my system, I came to the conclusion that my system didn't sound right. Honestly, I didn't know what the cause of the problem was. As I was trying some different things, I unplugged the Sony and everything went back to normal. You wouldn't think that type of thing would make such a big difference.
A couple of posters above, I believe it was Robsker and Schipo, talk about double blind testing and how listeners could not tell the difference between PC's. That's fine, but the problem I have is that I would like to see the tests myself. This is one of those emotional topics that people get caught up in on both sides. Its understandable for many reasons.

My position is that I can hear differences in power cords. Sometimes its a big difference and other times, its very small. On occasion, I don't hear any difference. Not only that, about 50% of the time, I find the results to be negative over a stock cord. Its just a mixed bag of results. But there are results (usually), at least for me.

The reason I state the above is to be very clear where my personal bias or experience is. If you guys want to cite tests that were done that contradicts what I know or believe, you have every right to. Not only that, I encourage it. I like to be challenged. But if you want me to take your posts seriously, though, you have to do a better job than to just say that you read about some tests. I want to know as much about them as I can. I need to read them for myself. I may even want to try them to see if I can get the same results. How else can we learn? With all the different people that post here, maybe we can even come up with a better test.
Brownsfan,

I don't know if you got the point I was trying to make in my post. Like you, I hear differences in PC's. When I read the posts that said you can't hear the difference in PC's based on double blind testing, I question it. Not knowing anything at all about the blind tests mentioned, I don't take them at face value. Anybody can say anything. I just want to get more details to see if they really have something or not.
Brownsfan,

Thanks. I understand what you are trying to say now. The reason I'm so interested in the results is that the people who cite them, I feel, are not being completely honest with their intentions. Where you or I want to find out what the truth is in all this, I think some of the other posters just want to be right, and win the argument. Why? Because they just know their right. I guess.

That's why we never get to see the tests. We'll point out the flaws and they won't get to be right anymore. I do agree that a perfect listening test is not possible. If for nothing else but human error. Things like mistakes and lack of concentration on the test subject are bound to happen.

Where we may differ in opinion is that I feel a perfect listening test is not necessary for accurate results. I believe that if enough consideration is given in an effort to come up with the best possible listening test, we can factor in a healthy margin of error and end up with what we need to get solid results. Margin of error is very common in testing. I see no reason why we can't apply it here.

That's why I'm so anxious to see these tests. I'm willing to bet that some of the people on this site will point out some of the obvious flaws and maybe we can come up with a better test. Its entirely possible I may be proven wrong on some things. I'm OK with that. I've been wrong before.
"08-12-13: Drummermitchell
Perhaps every 250.00+ pc cable,interconnect,SC ect should come with it's own recorder so we can hear the huge difference,recording doesn't lie.
Not one cable manufacturer has a before and after recording(do they)of the effect their cable makes on the sound.
Perhaps a Zoom H-2 handheld digital recorder will let us hear what's really going on."

Maybe. But why record it if you can listen to it for real? The only upside I can think of to recording your stereo is that the absolute sound becomes your stereo system. Never thought I'd make that statement.