Power Cables

Is it necessary to use the same brand and model of power cables for the amp and pre-amp? Any thoughts about mixing and matching? I know it all comes down to how they sound, but would love to hear your inputs or tips to guide me in the selection.
ct221933
Sincere apologies for keeping this one going, but so many posters in cable threads are talking entirely through something other than their mouth when they make claims about "demanding" audio transients requiring something from a power cable when anyone with amplifier 101 knows the mains are decoupled from the circuit practically the entire time thanks to capacitors.

CT221933 - Have you received any useful responses amidst these 'cable wars'?  (I assume it's not helpful just to hear that some posters don't believe A/C cords make a difference, and read the ensuing rebuttals.)

There is no reason you cannot mix-and-match A/C cords in your system.  If you have different ones, try them on various components and listen.

OTOH, once you find a cord that you especially like, you may find that it sounds better than others throughout your system. 

Power Cords!  More Power Scotty!  ...to add my own HiFi thought...Every Component can make a Audio Difference. Personally I love Cables...and for the investment the Silver Resolution AC Cords from Signal Cable are insanely “good!”  However...as always, the selection of components...from the Wall Outlet Receptacle to the Cartridge will/can affect the Audio Quality. 

...remember, just because one person has a Negative Opinion - does not mean you have too. Make your HiFi fun. 

“Me”...Before I upgraded AC Cords, I upgraded the Outlets First...that was a big deal. 
aalenik: I appreciate all the input. Learned alot from both sides. Just quietly observing this thread.  
@wmarkhall - I’ll attempt to address your questions in order, but some answers overlap...
what part --specifically-- inherent to the "advanced" power cable enables it to allow more power from the station / to the pole / over the lines / into your home through the walls after going through its own short run of wire?
An advanced power cable is generally constructed by using the best possible quality copper or silver plated copper
- this provides better conductivity, which improves the dynamic perofrmance of the cables.
- it allows for a faster response to the components "request" for more current
- a component’s circuitry draws current and when it cannot get enough current to satisfy it’s requirements the circuits internal voltages dip and distortions in the signal occures

And (b) what part of the PSU system within the component senses and allows more current than what it is specified to engage
The PSU senses nothing - it simply tries to deliver the amount of current requested by the internal circuitry of a component, as it tries to accomodate the demands of the ausio signal - and transient spikes are the most demanding.
- Again - if the transient spike requires more "power" (i.e. current) than the PSU of the components can deliver, the voltage dips and the reproduction of that transient spike is less than optimal and sound quality is effected.
However, the PSU tries to draw that excess power required from the mains supply via the power cable.
- An advanced PC will assist in that transfer
- a standard PC will not be able to convey the current in a "timely manner"

a timely conveyance of it, as you say, to increase audio transients?
If you can build "the perfect power cable" it would allow a component to process a transient spike completely.
- if the cable is not capable of conveying the power (i.e. current) required frpom the mains, then the amplified transient spike will look and sound quite different.

Finally (c) what makes this wire magic so expensive that it is not within the cost/benefit analysis parameters of the manufacturers to include it with their mid to higher priced products if the difference is so easily heard?
Modestly priced components are designed/built to a specific "price point" - they get the cables that the company feels "does the job at the price point"

More expensive audiophile components come with "reasonable" power cables, but the companies that make them believe that the customer will simply replace the included power cable, because that is what many audiophiles do - so why bother investing the time and energy when according to the consumer there is a better power cable out there.
It would be silly to pack an 18 gauge power cable with a McIntosh, so they get a cable that at least "looks the part" and maintain their credibility

But n addition to your questions I would like to address the geometry of the cable again, because this is the area that is currently being investigated by cable manufacturers...
- most conventional power cables are noisy
- it’s what happens when you place three conductors in parallel inside a sleeve - noise is induce into the neutral, and vice versa when the polarity changes.
- Most of this noise is dealt quite effectively by large power supplies, that’s why large power amps sound so good.
But in components with less than optimum power supplies this noise has an impact.

Of the simple geometries I have tried/built...
- braiding, because the three conductors are not in parallel, their ability to induce noise between them is reduced and sound quality improves by about 40-60%,
- the Helix design - where the neutral and ground conductors are almost at right angles to the live wire - the result is very little noise and much improved sound quality is achieved.

If you have a really noisy mains power supply (i.e. from the street) - then a good power cable will will simply convey that noise - but with more precision.

Another interesting point - people look at the mains supply and figure "it’s just 50/60 Hz - why would I need power cables capable of conveying the entire audio spectrum"
- I thought about this when I first read it posted here on audiogon
- Granted the voltage has a frequency responce of 50/60 Hz

BUT - what about the current that is drawn???
- as the audio signal is processed the component draws just the right amount of current to process it.
- if a loud bass note is processed a large amount of current is drawn
- if a quiet passage is processed much less current is drawn

So based on that - isn’t it reasonable to assume that the current drawn (i.e. over time) would in fact resemble the audio signal ?
- most of the time the components power supply does an adequate job of satisfying the demans of the connected circuit, but when those large transients come along, most power supplies will not deliver the required current in a "timely manner"

If that is the case, then for me, power cables with high quality conductors (as in the rest of your system), makes perfect sense.

I hope this answers your questions

BTW - I have no actual proof that any of the above actually happens - it’s just my early electrical education being applied in areas it was never really meant for and it’s also based on my "experiments" with different cable geometries over the last 5 years

Regards - Steve