Power amps into surge protector/Conditioner or DIRECT to wall? Final verdict?

Just curious. I've heard for years not to plug amp into a surge protection evice. Does this apply to a preamp as well? Are the component fuses enough? Do affordable surge protection/conditioners exist that do not effect sound quality? 
Some of the mid line Furman studio units look nice. Plus you have the SurgeX/Brick devices that look like real winners. However, I'm not wanting any sound quality issues. BUT, I don't want my equipment destroyed as well. 

Thoughts please
aberyclark
Surge protectors are better than nothing.  They protect mostly against high freqency spikes and line frequencies in the khz range.  They kick in about 200v so your class D powet suppy is very susceptible just like a computer. It is essentially a music computer.  Isolation transformers with HF filters are very good cleaning up the line
UPS units can be good but need to be continuous sign wave type.  Much of the big amps will far exceed a UPS ability unless tou shell out big bucks.
I have a Furman IT Ref 15i and all equipment is plugged into it. This includes my Primaluna Dialogue Prem HP Integrated amp. Sounds beautiful!
Have all my kit plugged into a Niagara 7000 with a Hurricane 20 amp pc to the wall. It has given me peace of mind from power surges - lost a alovely pre amp in the past. The real bonus is the way it has transformed the performance of my Devialet amps. Massively improved detail, bass, faster transients and blacker background. Quite expensive but worth it IMO.
@aberyclark  how did you make the decision to go for the Torus TOT MAX? I'm curious, it looks good.

Hi 
my take on these surge protector etc.
 I feel it is good for your preamp,cd players 
dac,Transport.
your amp needs to go directly into the wall 
outlet.
i had a lot of surge protector etc.and my
amp or amps never sounded good going into.
Keep your amp in the wall outlet.