Power amps for Quad electrostatics 2905

NuForce 9 Ref SE V2, Computer audio and Stello DAC DA100 Signature but lack musicality. The Nuforce seams not to be a great match with the Quads. Looking for a replacement.
Thanks for info.
larss

Showing 3 responses by peter_s

I had Quad 988's and tried a number of amps, inluding: Quicksilver Triodes (50W 6C33C), Cary SLM-100, Cary SLM-70sig, Wolcott S-220, EAR 509 mkii (509 tube), Odysey Stratos Dual Mono, Aragon 2004. Unless otherwise specified, these amps generally use EL-34 tubes, which I think are a good match for the Quads. Contrary to 4EST's experience, I was pretty dissappointed with the EAR - to me it lacked a certain amount of delicacy and fine detail resolution. The SLM-100 was also a bit of a dud (it uses KT88 tubes), whereas the SLM-70s sounded very fine, with enough ooomph and very good fine resolution. The Wolcott also sounded good, maybe slightly better than the SLM-70, but not enough to justify the cost. The Quicksilver sounded a bit aggressive I thought - maybe due to the 6C33C tube. The Stratos (solid state) was acceptable - no show stopper. A big surprise was the lowly Aragon, can be had for 400 dollars, and it had great synergy with the Quads. Although it had the slightest bit of grain, the dynamicism, soundstaging and imaging it achieved were really something! I would recommend picking up one of these as a "backup" and use it while you audition others and in case a tube amp breaks. I think some people might prefer it. I would imagine that the Aleph 3 would sound good, but maybe a bit polite (thoughts, Mozartrules?). I would suggest getting an EL34 based tube amp, or maybe one that can switch tubes. What is your budget?

I just noticed your thread is for the 2905 rather than the 2805. Since I had the 988, you may want to have an amp with slightly more power than I mentioned, I don't know.

Another huge improvement I got with my Quads was a preamp that was very dynamic. The CAT Ultimate was certainly that, and really brought the Quads alive. If I had the money I would consider CAT gear (though I didn't thoroughly enjoy dealing with the manufacturer). I'm sure it would take the Quads by the horns and make them jump through hoops!
I think the newer Quads and the original Quads are different beasts, and what worked for the '57's may not work for the new models. I would also consider some of the top line Quicksilvers that can run EL34's.
Hi Ralph. Zeros may be worth playing with. I tried them with my Cary amps on my 988's, and I must say, I didn't like the effect. Seemed to lose some degree of resolution. I wonder if others have tried them with their tube amps on Quads?