Power Amp Repair Question

Just wonder how best to proceed in my situation. I took my McCormack Micro Power Drive to a repair shop one month ago. They had a $100 estimate fee and I assumed I'd get an estimate with a diagnosis. After one month, the shop doesn't know what's wrong but says I lose the $100 if I want it back. I asked if they might know in 2 more weeks and they said probably not. So, how long is it reasonable to wait? 2 months? More? Is it fair to ask for the estimate fee when there's no diagnosis or estimate after one month?

Thanks,
Ron
rff000

Showing 2 responses by rff000

I eventually called and asked for a date certain about when I would get an estimate. Note that they did not call me. The owner said that he does have the estimate and that it's $600, far above what I think is reasonable. He gave no details at all over the phone about what would be needed and said my choice is to pick it up for $100 or go ahead for $600. Somehow I doubt he'd ever fix it for $600.

For now, I'm considering just abandoning it in the shop and buying another amp.
Sure. It's Hi-Fi Heaven in Falls Church, VA.

I already moved on and placed an order for a brand new amp. I got a nice trade-in on the working McCormack that I have left. It's not worth the hassle to struggle with getting the broken amp back. My new one is the Parasound A23, which is supposed to be a good match for my NHT 2.5 speakers.