Forfeiting the $100.00 and getting the amp back might be considered money well spent considering the way they have treated you.
10 responses Add your response
It is fair to ask for return of your money. One month is plenty of time to diagnose the problem. They either lack technical ability or are just too busy. Either way, from your perspective no work was done and you have right to demand return. If they refuse call your credit card company to apply back charges or tell them you will file claim in Small Claim Court. Their position is unreasonable and perhaps you should warn other people?
If I were you I would not threaten them with any action until you have the amp back in your possession and off their property. Hopefully you have some type of a receipt that shows you paid them $100 to look at the amp and they would then follow-up with what was wrong with amp and what it would cost to repair it.
If so, and you paid the $100 using a credit card, then you can do a chargeback. If not I suggest you lick your wounds and move on, and be thankful you got the amp back, hopefully in the same condition you took it to them and not in a cardboard box in pieces.
Paying an upfront fee for a repair estimate is customary in the stereo repair business. The fee is factored in when the repair work is done. If you decide to have the work done elsewhere then the estimate fee is forfeited. What you're paying for is the diagnosis of the problem and an "estimate" of the cost to repair it. Based on your posting, you never received the diagnosis so you should demand your money back or threaten legal action. As a last resort, take the gloves off and identify the shop on forums like this. Bad behavior isn't right and shouldn't be ignored.
I eventually called and asked for a date certain about when I would get an estimate. Note that they did not call me. The owner said that he does have the estimate and that it's $600, far above what I think is reasonable. He gave no details at all over the phone about what would be needed and said my choice is to pick it up for $100 or go ahead for $600. Somehow I doubt he'd ever fix it for $600.
For now, I'm considering just abandoning it in the shop and buying another amp.
I've had ZERO luck with independent repair shops.
My suggestion is pay the $100, get the amp back and contact Steve McCormack http://smcaudio.com/ He can fix and probably upgrade it with latest parts.
Can you name the repair shop so we can avoid using them?
Sure. It's Hi-Fi Heaven in Falls Church, VA.
I already moved on and placed an order for a brand new amp. I got a nice trade-in on the working McCormack that I have left. It's not worth the hassle to struggle with getting the broken amp back. My new one is the Parasound A23, which is supposed to be a good match for my NHT 2.5 speakers.
I already moved on and placed an order for a brand new amp. I got a nice trade-in on the working McCormack that I have left. It's not worth the hassle to struggle with getting the broken amp back. My new one is the Parasound A23, which is supposed to be a good match for my NHT 2.5 speakers.I understand. Sometime you just have to cut your losses and move on.
GL with your new amp!