Pono - Ayre and Headphones

Pono is gone. I'm sad about this, though I didn't buy one due to UI issues, they had the absolute best headphone output stage I have ever heard. Mind you, I have not exhaustively compared portable music players, but wow. With my Shure E4s IEMs they were transformative. 

I use an LG V30 now, which has nothing wrong, but also doesn't have the majestic presentation of the Pono. Pretty much the only way I'm going to get this again is by buying an Ayre Codex, and strapping a battery to it. :) 

So, I'm just putting my wish out to the universe: I wish LG would partner with Ayre, or Ayre would partner with Fiio for a new portable with their output stages. 

Thank you,

Erik
erik_squires
You make me feel wasteful in never using the headphone amp functionality of my Codex!  I just use it as a DAC.....
Such a shame about PONO. I bought one during the initial introduction.It sounds great thru the balanced output. 
Yes, sad. A friend of mine bought a Pono, even a signed version, and a rather cheap set of earphones, modding them for balanced operation. I was very impressed by the sound he got from it. My Fiio X3v2 is no slouch, surprisingly good with the Fiio EX-1 in ear plugs (nice match), but not on the same level. Balanced operation is clearly better, so it is strange that it is not an industry standard.
cedar - Hifiman 400x series headphones are half off right now. :) 

BTW, i never used balanced operation. Still, an amazing headphone amp