Pondering a Speaker Upgrade

I have had my new integrated amp Lyngdorf 3400 for almost 3 months now and I'm enjoying it thoroughly.  This is my first venture into high end audio with my previous set up being a Marantz AVR with Rotel 1582 power amp.  I am running the Lyngdorf with Martin Logan Motion 40 tower speakers.  Most on this site would consider these budget speakers  but in my view they sound pretty good.  Lots of detail with the Lyngdorf but still pleasing to listen to.  Good soundstage and imaging is fantastic.  I am using with a Sub which the Lyngdorf integrates perfectly for a bottom end that is really sweet.  The Room Perfect correction (a must in my space) is excellent.  However I have always wanted a complete high end system and I'm wondering how much better premium speakers would be with the Lyngdorf. I have been eyeing Bowers 805 d3 thinking standmounts might be better in my somewhat small listening space especially with a Sub.  I went to hear the 805s at Magnolia and though they get a lot of praise I was totally unimpressed.  To my disappointment they were driving the speakers with the same Rotel 1582 amp I upgraded from.  Not only did they not sound great the setup sounded small and in no way came close to the Logans driven by the Lyngdorf even with the Sub turned off.  I also greatly admire the Sonus Faber Olympica line of speakers but they have no dealers in the Washington DC metro area.  So my question is how much improvement might I expect in my system upgrading to a speaker like the 805 d, 804 d or Sonus Faber Olympica I or II  or similarly priced speakers. The Kef Reference I had also peaked my interest.   Especially if I'm using the sub could I expect an overall improvement in sound quality in the 30% range or would the difference be more marginal?  I know that different speakers will have different sound qualities but wondering in general if I want to consider an upgrade.  What I liked about the Logans when I bought them were the highs and mids.  They sounded much more alive and forward than Bowers and the Faber Venere similar in price.  While I still like the Logans I think my taste is changing and I would maybe choose something a little more laid back but not too laid back.
128x128ppack

Showing 1 response by avanti1960

your speakers are nice but not very natural sounding.  the B&W 805 d3 can sound very natural but as you said on the small side and also have a peak in the bass response that causes them to emphasize a certain bass note frequency frequently. 
I have also never heard a Sonus Faber speaker that I liked.  Even the best of them tend to emphasize the bass and air extension at the sacrifice of midrange clarity.   
Having lived with Harbeth speakers I believe every audio and music lover should own a pair of them at one point.  Set up right and with the right system synergy they do so much right and are phenomenally natural. 
Coming from the MartinLogans I suggest either the SHL5+ or C7ES3.  There are discounts and used options out there that make them more reasonable.  Check out the Skylan stands as well and fill them with cat litter.