Polk Audio

I picked up a pair of Polk Audio RTi -A1 compact speakers recently and was surprised at how big they were on scale and bass. The guy I bought them from had been using them as surrounds in his AV system and when I said they were going to be used in a stereo set up, he seemed puzzled that I would want to use them that way.

Anyway, I'm hugely impressed by how the Polks handle rock music especially - they're hooked up to a Krell KST-100 power amp. They've got a lot of weight in delivery, apart from the bass and scale. I've gotten similar results from small speakers in my room, but they've been much more expensive ....

However, what puzzles me is the negative vibe people seem to have about Polk. "Oh, they used to be good once upon a time but are crap now," is what someone in the distribution industry remarked.

This is the first time I'm listening to Polk speakers. I don't see any justification for his remark.

Anyone else here has a good experience with Polk's current range? Seems great value to me ...
bassraptor

Showing 6 responses by zd542

"Polk got to big for the hi-end audio community and they fell out of favor. God forbid we find a quality product at a big box retailer."

What about Marantz, Audioquest, Vienna, Martin Logan and B & W? They sell all those brands in Best Buy along with Polk.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Brands/MartinLogan/pcmcat299000050002.c?id=pcmcat299000050002&pageType=REDIRECT&issolr=1&searchterm=martin%20logan

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-2849465170762011937&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=bowers+and+wilkins&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&fs=saas&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&saas=saas

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-2849465170762011937&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=marantz&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&fs=saas&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&saas=saas

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-2849465170762011937&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=audioquest&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&fs=saas&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&saas=saas

Here's a few links. I couldn't find one for Vienna. They may not sell them anymore. Also, not all Best Buys have exactly the same inventory but I always see a decent selection of the brands I list in my local stores.
"If you did not notice, all the links show items that are available only at Best Buys with Magnolia rooms. If your local BB doesn't have a Magnolia section, I doubt very seriously it will carry these items."

Don't all Best Buys have Magnolia? I don't think I've ever been a BB that didn't have one.
"Funny how a thread about Polk can morph into a discussion about Best Buy."

That was my doing. Someone was complaining that audiophiles don't like Polk anymore because they lost their "snob appeal" (I think thats what they called it), and are sold in big stores. I just pointed out some of the other lines offered in Best Buy. As far as this whole Best Buy/Magnolia thing, you got me. I don't really like BB so I'm not keeping track of what's sold in each store. Every one I've ever been to has a Magnolia section. Also, when you do a search for products on their web site, they list all the Magnolia products right along with regular BB items. I really don't see what the big deal is with Magnolia anyway. The one decent thing about BB is that if they don't have something in stock, they will ship it to your local store.

I do think its a foolish move for high end brands to sell in BB/Magnolia. But not because of the whole snob factor thing. Everything is about equipment matching and setup. Its a miracle that the people who work at BB can even turn the equipment on in the morning when they come in to work, let alone sell it, and set the stuff up for customers. Thats the real problem. I wouldn't trust those people setup and place a pair of speakers on a boom box.
Paraneer,

All of your points are excellent and make sense. That said, I still partially disagree. The vast majority of people have no idea what high end audio is. Given the lack of B & M stores, the most likely way an average person will come in contact with better gear is by walking into a BB store. Here's my fear of what they will say upon leaving BB: "Those damn BMW speakers are way over priced, just like their cars. The speakers I have at home sound every bit as good.". You have to admit, its a possibility.