Plz advise on Denon PRA 1500/POA 2400

Hi guys, I am new to stereo hifi. I was using quite a vintage solid state integrated Marantz PM 550 DC. And recently bought a used and well taken care Denon pre & power amp. I read that they are quite some guys here using the pra 1500 or poa 2400. I hope you guys could help me with some newbie questions.

For the Denon PRA 1500

- It seems like the volume pot has got to turn to 9'o clock at least before I could start hearing some music from the speaker is this normal? Below 9'o clock there is almost no sound.

- what is the variable loudness actually for?

- Subsonic?

-I have a yamaha EQ-70 any idea how I can loop EQ in to the PRA? ( There are quite afew PB & REC RCAs )
flyinmozart

Showing 1 response by mechans

The extent to which you turn up the volume pot depends on the gain in your power amp and the sensitivity of your speakers. 9 o'clock is not all that unusual for most set ups and listeners. I wouldn't sweat it.
The loudness control is a bass boost "compensation" for low volume listening. Evidently lower bass signals require more power to the speaker and thus aren't easily heard as easily as the mids and treble at low levels. The variable pot usually changes the amount of db boost not the crossover frequency.