Pls recommend a tupe pre under 2500 for my system.

I 'd like to add some warmth to my system by adding a used tube preamp to it for less than $2,500. I listen to everything except rap. My current set-up is used for HT and 2 channel listening, and is comprised of the following pieces:

• Bel Canto Ref 500S
• Arcam AV8
• Ohm 100 S3
• Arcam FMJ 139
• Synergistc wires
• PS Audio Quintet

This will be my first piece of tubed gear. Thanks!
dante7

Showing 3 responses by martykl

I use the same speakers with ARC gear, but I have also used the Bel Canto integrated (briefly) with my Ohms. I'm not so sure that a tube pre will get you all the way to where you want to be. Both Bel Canto and the Ohms strike me as pretty neutral sounding, so sub-par (particularly tipped up pop and rock) recordings sometimes suffer. I'd guess that "dialing in" some added warmth might make such a system a little more "program material" friendly. Doing so via a tubed pre might be a good idea, but it might also be a tough job.

You could try an older C-J, Cary, Audible Illusions, etc., but a tubed power amp might make a more dramatic change.

Just my own experience FWIW.

Marty
I own an LS-25 and agree that it doesn't have a trace of "tube warmth". That said, it doesn't have any SS "edge" either. This particular piece might be the most extreme ARC pre in that regard, but I still wouldn't call it SS sounding. Just "pretty neutral" and quite revealing. Later versions from ARC may have backed off a bit, but none that I've heard sound at all tube-like.

Therefore, I'd agree that these wouldn't be on my personal list of preamps appropriate to the OP's stated desire.

Marty
I have an Joule LA-100 and it's great. IMHO, a better choice for the OP's needs than any of the recent ARC preamps that I've heard. However, I'd try to go even further down the "tubey" road to get the result he's seeking. I suspect that an older Cary or C-J might do the trick. There probably will be some cost in bottom end control, however, if this is the chosen route. Ah, trade-offs.

Marty