Pls recommend a tupe pre under 2500 for my system.

I 'd like to add some warmth to my system by adding a used tube preamp to it for less than $2,500. I listen to everything except rap. My current set-up is used for HT and 2 channel listening, and is comprised of the following pieces:

• Bel Canto Ref 500S
• Arcam AV8
• Ohm 100 S3
• Arcam FMJ 139
• Synergistc wires
• PS Audio Quintet

This will be my first piece of tubed gear. Thanks!
dante7

Showing 4 responses by darkmoebius

Joule Electra LA-100 or LA-150 would probably do the trick, if they can be found for $2,500
Would anyone characterize modern ARC preamps using the 6H30 tube as "warm" in the traditional sense? I'm a little on the fence about that one.

Of the ones mentioned, I'd say Cary is closest to the warm, lush, type of sound. But, that is really my impression of some of their power amps more than their preamps. Art Audio would probably be the next.

Of course, most tube preamps are going to warm compared to most solid state.
Instead of specific models, here are some companies that produce excellent sounding, and extremely well made tube (pre)amplifiers. Find a used one made by them within your price range and really cannot go wrong.

Art Audio - dm-vps
BAT - VK-31
Cary - SLP 98L
EAR - 834L
Modwright - swl9.0se

These are all very, very, good tube preamps still in production and made by great companies with excellent customer support. All a larger, well established, manufacturers.

The Thor mentioned above is guaranteed to a be great unit, but the creator just shut the company down unannounced 2 years ago and walked away hanging everyone, from dealers to customers, out to dry. It was bought by the two guys that own HighEndAudio.com and they have reintroduced the brand and (I suppose) service legacy products. You can read about it here - The Return of Thor Audio: An Interview with Ted Lindblad of High End Audio