Plinth to armboard interface Garrard 301 plinth

I’m re-doing some things on my Garrard 301, adding another arm board and redoing the current one. was wondering what people are using if anything for interface between the arm board wood and plinth wood. I could also use a metal for the arm board if that’s better.

I was using a small bead of blue tack (ok the stuff i got is white but the same idea) between the arm board and plinth for a more even connection and maybe some isolation, then screws. Some one mentioned its better to have a more solid connection. I have though about a hard rubber maybe as a gasket type of idea, or should I just screw it down wood on wood. metal on wood etc.

Has anyone experimented with this? 

Glen 
128x128glennewdick

Showing 3 responses by millercarbon

What do you mean, "the simple cones are the best?"
Where did you get that?
The best thing by far to use under a nice massive stiff table like yours is a set of Black Diamond Racing Cones screwed into Those Things screwed into the base. They are standard 1/4-20 threads making it easy to swap in case you want to compare and see just how much better they are than, well anything you care to try. It will look something like this
http://www.theanalogdept.com/images/spp6_pics/C_miller_web/Miller_carbon_5.jpg
The more closely you can make it to the plinth and arm board being like one piece the better. So if the arm board you have is perfectly flat then just screw it down because adding anything between will only detract from that. But if it is anything less than perfectly flat, if there are any voids or gaps, then using a very thin layer of Blu-tack will likely help. 

I've compared quite a few different materials- from exotic hardwoods to pine and oak, to MDF, acrylic, ABS, etc as well as combinations of some of these laminated together. 

Bottom line, all these common materials have so many tradeoffs (ie none is truly superior to any other) that it comes down to personal preference. That's the bad news- its a crap shoot. The good news is all these are cheap and easy to experiment with.

This by the way is why so many turntables are made with these same materials. Its not that they are particularly good or effective. Its that they are cheap and easy to experiment with. Look how many variations VPI and others have on what is really just MDF/acrylic/aluminum.

The only somewhat commonly available material that is clearly superior in terms of vibration control is carbon fiber. Even here its not the carbon fiber that's definitive, but the way its used. I know, having built my share. The composite that forms the bulk of the material is every bit as important as the carbon fiber fabric you see on the outside. Maybe even more so.

Not opinion. Experience.

What this means is you have three main options: One, select a hardwood you think looks really good. Two, use MDF. Won't look as good but there's a reason MDF is used so extensively: its sonic signature is benign.

Third, no nevermind you won't do it. Do one of the other ones.