Plinth to armboard interface Garrard 301 plinth

I’m re-doing some things on my Garrard 301, adding another arm board and redoing the current one. was wondering what people are using if anything for interface between the arm board wood and plinth wood. I could also use a metal for the arm board if that’s better.

I was using a small bead of blue tack (ok the stuff i got is white but the same idea) between the arm board and plinth for a more even connection and maybe some isolation, then screws. Some one mentioned its better to have a more solid connection. I have though about a hard rubber maybe as a gasket type of idea, or should I just screw it down wood on wood. metal on wood etc.

Has anyone experimented with this? 

Glen 
128x128glennewdick

Showing 2 responses by glennewdick

Thanks guys  for the feedback.

I had a plinth made by a local man who has made many plinths for both Garrard's and TD124's, good friend has two or three of his plinths all beautiful and effective. Mine is a multi layered Bamboo ply with some insets for decoration. my current arm board is made of Padauk (I love this wood simply beautiful) I cannot unfortunately get another piece to match so i'm going to get two made so I have options in materials. I have a stepped hole bored through for the tone arm cable other then that and the stepped larger hole for the table its solid. there is pictures in my system. I will be most likely boring another hole for the second arm. 

My plinth-table combo is close to a hundred pounds, it's true and flat but I do need a little height for the Jelco so my arm board is about 1.5" thick so when installed, it's recessed 1/2", it's about an inch above the plinth. 

I've been happy so far still not quite finished but 90% there just the second arm and some permanent footers I can live with. 

oh the second arm is most likely going to be an SME 3009 series 2 mk2 as I have one sitting on my floor next to the audio rack, a  friend wants to sell me. its got new knife edge bearings and Cardas rewire straight through cabling. 

Thanks again always good to learn form others cheers 

glen 

my temporary footer set up is a steal cone sitting in a brass disc with a dimple with some very thin (1/16") sorbothane pads under each brass disc. this has been good but not the best as it floats and may not be that stable specially if bumped. 

I've tried a  softer footer and I found the sound lost some focus, the cones seem best so far but i'd like a little more isolation if I can.

thanks for the suggestions. I will look into the links. 

My footers sit on a 160lb, 4" thick granite slab. that sits on a three legged Lovan stand.  I have about all the mass I can take with out it going through the floor (ok exaggeration). 

I can not wall mount in my current condo-loft unfortunately but I'm in a steel and concrete building that's also diagonally braced for earth quake resistance so surprisingly stable. 

cheers 

glen