Plinius SA100 MKIII/P-8 vs. Belles/McCormack SS?

I am looking at upgrading my amp. Currently I am using Sixpacs in my system, and as good as they sound, I want to get back to SS. The sound is a little too polite for my taste, as have been all of the tubes I have had come through my system. I am planning on purchasing the SF Grand Piano DOMUS (I auditioned and really liked this speaker) but currently am with Von Schweikert VR-2's. I mostly listen to orchestral music, with some jazz, blues, and other acoustic music thrown in there.

Amps I am looking at (around $2000 used or new) would include the McCormack DNA-125, Belles 150a Reference, as well as a used Plinius model (either the SA100 MKIII or P-8: I couldn't find anything about the P-8). I have also looked at the A5cr from MF, but couldn't get a good demo at the dealer (they had it hooked up to Thiel and I wasn't familiar with that speaker). Also would be open to considering another nice SS amp that is detailed yet musical. I have heard the McCormack (although they are not sold locally any longer) and it was nice for the price. Are the others a significant upgrade (they are all more expensive). Of course, I could get the DNA stuff modified, but Steve said the waiting list is 3 months (this is a wintertime hobby for me, so I am hoping to get my system finished in the next couple of weeks-Steve is a great guy BTW).

Thanks for any suggestions!
girodebirdman

Showing 1 response by gojohnnygo