Plinius SA-50 MKIII vs SA-103

Is this an upgrade? Besides increased power what differences could be noted with a change from an SA-50 MKIII to a SA-103?
I currently have a SA-50 and I like it very much. The additional power would be a plus but not critical.

Speakers: Focal Micro Utopia BE.

Thank You
rello

Showing 2 responses by samzx12

I would think the 103 would be a step up or two or three. I used to have a 100MKIII and it was a very nice amp but over time I found it just got boring or no PRAT. I tried a BAT VK200 and found it to be more pleasing to my ears. I am not bashing Plinius at all because they are very smooth and overall very nice amps. It just didn't work in my system over a period of time. Of course mileage may vary.
The Class A capability of the Plinius amps is a big plus. They sound so much sweeter but I found that A/B mode drove my speakers better or should I say the bass was tighter. That was then and now I have a smaller integrated amp and more efficient speakers. If your speakers are efficient then Pdreher gives some good advice. Either take a smaller step up or try a tube amp or maybe a tube integrated.