Plinius 9200 with Spendor s8e?

Has anyone heard this combination? I'm thinking about replacing my Cary V12r and Audible Illusions Mod3a with an integrated amp. I'd like to clean up my listening space, as well as try a higher powered amp with the Spendors.

I've read great things about the s8e's with Musical Fidelity components, but nothing about Plinius. I found only one poster who found the combination to be "muddy". I use a Musical Fidelity A5 CD player, if that matters.

Gary
garyralph

Showing 2 responses by bojack

Honestly, what you have now is a killer combination, and I would think long and hard about replacing anything . . . unless the sound is just fundamentally wrong. I think the S8e's sound better with tubes, as their bass is naturally accurate (no need to turn to SS for excellent bass) and their tweeter is neutral. Plus, you will surely lose that wonderful AI air that I have only heard AI create w/Spendors.
I think you are simply getting used to Spendor's version of tonal accuracy, hence the treble being "rolled off." Remember that the frequencies at which finger cymbals and hi-hat taps reside, if too dominant in a speaker's balance, can lead to serious listener fatigue over the long haul. And more watts will not necessarily bring out the high frequencies: A tweeter's natural voice will remain intact regardless of the power applied to it. I'm sure that if you spend more time with your set-up, you will begin to really appreciate what it's doing. Good luck.