Please tutor me on some integrated amp basics.

I’ve recently purchased Magico A3 speakers and a VPI Classic 2 SE turntable with an Ortofon Black 2M moving magnet cartridge. I have a Marantz SA 8005 CD/SACD player to play the few (maybe a hundred or so) CD’s in my possession.
I’ve mostly vinyl albums and no streaming sources. I’m next going to upgrade my old amp/preamp purchased back in the late 70’s with a new, probably integrated, one and am starting to do some research.

Here’s where I need some tutoring. A lot has changed since the seventies with the advent of digital technology. As well as I need to learn more about amplification components in the high end of audio technology. I keep running across terms I don’t understand. I’ll give you a list and if someone would be kind enough to explain these basics I’d be obliged.

For instance I was reading about the Hegel H360 integrated amp that Magico’s Alon Wolf recommended for their A3’s. The review mentioned they were a Class A/B amp, another person commented Class A’s were better, and a third person said he didn’t care for Class D amps. What do these classes signify? 

A second question is about DACs. I generally understand their purpose of the DAC, converting a digital to an analog signal. However my only digital device, the Marantz SA 8005 already has a DAC, ostensibly of good quality. The turntable ’s Ortofon cartridge would not need to play through a DAC, I presume. Would I bypass the CD’s players DAC if I purchase the higher quality Hegel H360 integrated amp?. Or could I find an equivalent integrated amp without an integral DAC?

On the other side of the equation I understand the turntable’s cartridge cannot play through the Hegel without first going through a phono stage. My old Phase Linear 4000 preamp you just plugged the turntables RCA cables into the back of the preamp and you were done. What’s that about? Do they make equivalent integrated amps to the Hegel H360 with integrated phono stages already in place, so I can just plug my turntable in as I’ve been able to do before. The amps don’t seem to be well integrated at all if you have to add a pricey phono stage to make them work, and end up having an extra DAC. That’s just me whining.

Third question is what are monoblocks, how are they used, and what are their advantages to a system? They were used at one of my speaker auditions.

I figured out the answer to what amplifier damping was myself, so I’m sparing you that one, but what does the term impedance mean? I keep coming across that.

Thank goodness I don’t have to figure out the cabling nightmare yet. Thanks for any help.

Mike
skyscraper
Speaker cables are relatively easy to choose after you have chosen interconnects. Usually - same brand, though not necessarily the same model. Another element is knowing your speakers, strong and weak points. If you put Nordost cables on your Magico almost certainly they will sound thin and not quite natural. Nordost exaggerates upper frequencies register, they are not in my view balanced cables. Nor are they in high esteem among audiophiles.
There are so many cable brands because it's easy to make money out of it, not the last thing knowing that 99% of people are not going to compare even a few brands let alone many. I didn't mention many other brands because it would've created even more confusion and because some of those brands, their models worth considering, are too expensive. Ask your Luxman dealer about his recommendation, make your sound and music preferences known to him.
I learned about Purist from some very knowledgeable and experienced Audiogon members, none of them presently participates. A few brands were most popular - Purist Audio, Kubala Sosna, Echole, Jorma, sometimes best Kimber and Audioquest, Shunyata power cords only. Those members have $200k - $500k all analog systems and could afford almost anything. Yes, a few had top of the line MIT and Transparent cables that worked very well in their particular applications.
There are so many cable brands because it's easy to make money out of it
Bingo!

Reading some of the FAQ, one has to wonder. Claims are made for unaltered transmission, but anyone can calculate the EQ effect of the sundry designs into various loads.

Speaking of Bingo, many manufacturers play Buzz Word Bingo.

e.g. products are Cryomag'd, but no specifics as to how that improves audio performance. Cryogenic rolling decreases electrical conductivity.

Beryllium Copper is touted. It's harder but only conducts about 15-30% as well as copper. Its hardness may be a detriment when mating connectors as any high points will reduce contact area, further reducing current carrying capacity.

Gold plating is referenced, but no mention is made of the process. Is it nickel plated or acid washed? Each has different sonics. Semi-conductors are made from metal to metal junctions.

Beryllium Copper is used as a spring material, e.g. fuse clips, but can suffer deplating when flexed. Not a great idea on a banana plug.
Duckworp, my apologies, but somehow when re-reading this thread this morning, I noticed, and think I missed replying to your long and thoughtful post.

I will be setting up my new system first with some more basic cable as you suggest. Your outline of how to proceed seems quite sensible to me. I will be concentrating on speaker cable first as you also suggest. The only exception will be acquiring the relatively inexpensive VPI manufactured turntable interconnect as my turntable is a VPI Classic similarly wired. I’ll look into the Townsend brand you recommend as well.

I appreciate you thinking and saying the Luxman will match well with the Magico’s. I surely hope so. The Luxman rep that told me they use Magico A3’s to demo their amps at shows encouraged me to think they may be well matched too.

Austinbob, sorry, I think I missed replying to your post too, which followed directly after Duckworp’s. I wish I had that room correction program you have with your Lyngdorf, especially if it works as well as the reviewers say. I seriously considered the Lyngdorf and a couple others for that alone.

Mike
Twoleftears. I've added Wireworld  and Audio Sensibility to my long list. 

Ieales, thanks for pointing out a few touted, but questionable cable construction attributes. Helps sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Mike.