Please recommend Tube pre-amp(s)

I've listened to, and liked the Conrad Johnson PV 12 (a bit under $2,000) and really liked the Conrad Johnson Premier 14 ( $4,300?). However the Premier 14 is a lot of money, and we wouldn't even have listened to it except it has a remote control which my wife insists on, and then she fell in love with the higher quality sound of the Premier 14. I've listened to solid state gear from Rowland, Ayre, Classe and Krell none of which I liked although I thought the Rowland was incredibly precise, detailed [and lifeless.] The only other tube gear I listened to was the BAT preamp/amp combination which didn't do it either - I thought the sound was kind of dark and a bit dry emotionally. We felt that the CJ sound was very open, inviting and involving - we felt like part of the emotional experience of the music. I'm quite new at this and it seems like the preamp has a large effect on the overall character of the sound of the system, at least more so than the power amp. So far I have a Cal Audio CL 10 5 disk CD player and a Conrad Johnson DA-2b D to A converter plugged into my soon to be replaced old receiver and speakers. I have no plans for vinyl, so I'm looking for recommendations for line stages. What preamps can you recommend in the $2k to $4k price range with remote controls? The two dealers who had the CJ line said CJ has a distinctive sound - do you agree? If so, how would you characterize the sound from other amplification companies' equipment - like VAC, etc. etc.
whiteknigh
Looks like I got to this discussion late. I own a Melos MA-333 Reference and absolutely love it. Before I bought it I auditioned in my system at home (Accuphase DP-55 cd, Rega Planar 3 w/Benz Micro Silver, Muse Model 160, Martin Logan SL3s w/Velodyne F-1800 Mk.II) the following tubed preamps: Audio Note Line 2 Sig, Air Tight (about 2500), Sonic Frontiers Line 2, Melos SHA Gold, BAT VK-3i, and Audible Illusions Modulus 3A. These comments are obviously system dependent. You'd never guess the Sonic Frontiers had a tube in it. The Air Tight and Audio Note were just a tad too warm. The BAT was just a little too cool. The Modulus 3A had a wonderful phono section and was a good unit, but what's the deal with two volume controls and no remote? I actually had settled on the SHA-Gold until I heard the MA-333 Ref. It was the winner. (p.s. The solid state Ayre preamp I heard seemed tubier than most every tube preamp I heard.)
ROGUE AUDIO 99 STARTUP COMPANY, KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THEM! THEIR PRODUCTS SHAME MUCH HIGHER PRICED PRODUCTS. YOU WANT A KILLER PREAMP?? GET THE 99 ITS BUILT LIKE A TANK AND SO COOL LOOKING. THE SOUND?? WARM, DETAILED, OPEN, TACTILE, SMOOTH, RICH, DELICATE, BUT KICKS ASS WHEN ASKED TO. MITCHELL TO METALLICA IT CAN DO IT ALL.I WAS IN THE MARKET FOR A NEW PREAMP. ALREADY HAD A PHONOSTAGE BUT WANTED TO COMPARE THE ROGUE SECTION WITH MY LEHMANN BLACK CUBE, A CLOSE FIGHT BUT THE ROGUE WON, GREAT PREAMP WITH GREAT PHONO SECTION, HEAVY METAL REMOTE, NOS TUBES, GREAT PRICE. MY DEALER MARIO, OWNER OF TOYS FROM THE ATTIC [email protected] REALLY WAS RIGHT ON WHEN HE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THIS PREAMP. BY FAR THE BIGGEST IMPROVEMENT MY STEREO HAS SEEN.MARIO GAVE ME A PRICE THAT KILLED ALL OTHER DEALERS PRICES.YOU LOOKING STILL? FORGET IT JUST CALL MARIO 914-421-0069 TELL HIM DAVE SENT YOU
If you like the CJ sound GET IT!!! Others will be different but not better. Have several preamps and often return to CJ both as reference and for enjoyment. Some have more detail, or are quicker, or are tubier. But the balance seems just right, especially for a lover of classical.
The cj premier 14 is being replaced by the premier 17. I purchased a premier 16 last year and i absolutly love it. The 17 should sound similar to the 16 and the ART for about the same price as the 14. Check it out.