Please recommend preamp

I'm new at this but am trying to put together a nice system primarily for a large vinyl collection that can also play CDs and probably either a tuner or cassette player. I will have speakers in two rooms, neither very large. I started with the JBL 4312 speakers from my youth for the bedroom and then bought JBL L150As for the living room for $950.  I just got a QSC RMX2450 amp in excellent condition for $300. I think my next step is a pre-amp. What would be a good bet for around $1000?  I'm hoping to get it right the first time rather than test-drive and buy and sell; really, I just want to listen to my records.
takeum0ut

Showing 2 responses by adg101

I've not dragged one home but at a local store I've listened to the Parasound P5 on an A23 amp on Magnepan 1.7 and it's a nice combination. The P5 is in your budget. ModWright SWL 9.0 would be something to look at but you'd need to pick up a phono preamp such as a Pro Ject unit to get you started and you could move up later to a better phono preamp down the road. Owned MW SWL 9.0 and its a great piece. I'd look at the Parasound.
Looking back at your original post I totally agree with elevick on the QSC. I don't know the JBL 150a but I do know the L100 very well and can only guess they have a similar sound. Not sure with newer more revealing gear you're going to really hear it or might hear the limitations of the older JBLs. Not bashing the JBLs but I'd look at a vintage Marantz 2265B, 2270 or something from that era. What is your current turntable set up? Are you also wanting to run both sets of speakers off the one system? Older Marantz receivers will sound nice and be a good match with the JBLs and I suspect that's the sound you're looking for. Nothing wrong with the pairing.